60.) Dont look

*************Warning*************

This chapter contains graphic material and may not be suitable for some readers. Be emotionally prepared.

----------------‐----------------------------------------------

I felt fear. The feeling of something being not right. The anxiety of not knowing what.

I faced the wreckage of what used to be Maples house. The walls were burnt and blackened in places. Pieces of pottery lay splintered and broken across the floor. Ashes covered every surface in a fine layer of light powder. The room was chaos. Only one place remained untouched. Maple. Maple sat on the floor with her back to me, while she worked at her loom. Her bobbin going back and forth across the taunt lines. A game of catch ot moved back an forth.

It was easy to recognize my eldest sister from the back. The sides of her head were shaved while the middle had been left to grow long. The single black mohak like braid dangled down past her waist, woven together from many smaller braids. Her wife's careful handywork.

I took in the sight of her athletic build and strong brown arms as they moved in rythm. I loved Maple but seeing her filled me with anxiety instead of relief, even in sleep I new she was dead.

"Fish roe." She called acknowledging my presence without looking behind.

"I'm here." I answered with a croak.

"You've come to visit. Why dont you sit next to me." She said patting the floor.

"I cant stay." I refused quickly. I tried to take a step back but my foot had melted to the ash covered floor. The feeling of fear continued to grow as I struggled to move. Maple tilted her head to the side.

"Yes, the new bond and the child on the way. You've replaced us so quickly." She said sadly.

"No! I could never replace." I began to disagree adamantly.

"Of course you are!" She said angrily her shoulders hunched over her work stiffly. The soft rythm of the loom was interupted. "You couldnt stand it, could you?" Maples voice dripped with venom. "Always wanting to be alone but you couldnt stand it after you got it. You replaced one family with another!"

I felt my hairs stand up on my arms. This wasnt Maple. This was a monster using Maples image.

Dont turn around.
Dont turn around
I silent plea in my mind to the imposters back.

The imposter rose from her seat at an unbearably slow speed. Its joints moving unnaturally as if dislocating. I struggled to move away but no matter how hard I fought, my body was held firmly in place.

Her neck made slow popping noises as her head spun around to expose no face. An empty black whole where her face should have been.

The shock jolted me awake. No one talked about the vivid dreams that came with pregnancy. I breathed heavily, wiping my face I realized I was crying. I looked around to make sure I was still in Cerastess den. I tried to relax but I felt terrible. Rubbing my belly as if to sooth the babe in my womb rather myself, I layed back down.

With certainty that I would be able to sleep for awhile. The nightmare felt to real.
I didnt kill my family.
I wasnt responsible for their deaths.
I didn't need to get revenge for them because the raiders who were responsible had been wiped out before morning.

But I feel guilty all the same.

Guilty for enjoying my bond.
Guilty for being happy over a baby.
Guilty for trying to forget.

the guilt was enough to make me sick to my stomach. A rush of saliva filled my mouth, I need to throw up soon.  I began shimmying under the layers of blankets, to climb out.