35.) The Secret we Keep

(The night the Villiage burned)

When the raiders came to Pyros, O'lan and a few of his sons ran towards the attackers in an attempt to fight them off with their incredible strength.

A slap from a young daughter was lethal. A slap from the older men was devastating and a hit from O'lan at full strength could pulverize bone.

Now he used that strength to slam horses and their riders to the ground but while the villagers may be strong and enjoy longevity, they were not immune to injury.

The fiery arrows that rained down claimed the life of more than a few.

Following Spruce and Thistle, the majority of the family fled to the cave at the end of the valley.
Torches were lit inside, and Spruce guarded the entrance. Thistle counted the heads in the dim light, trying to discern who was safe and who was missing.

Among the missing.
Hawthorn and his household.
Maple and her wife.
Ash and Rowan
Her oldest son Linden, and several of his decendents.
The twins Birtch and Pine
The five in Magnolias houshold and her grand children
And O'lan.

38 people were missing. The rest huddled together in the water. Some praying, some wailing, but all of them scared.

Thistle looked over her family she needed more information. Clearing her mind Thistle blinked and saw her husband was running to the cave.

Her emotions were to strong to maintain the connection causing her to snap back abruptly.

"Your father is comming!" She yelled to her second son guarding the entrance.

Spruce nodded, but did not put his knife away.

When O'lan came into view he was carrying a person over his shoulder.

Thistle went to the entrance to meet her husband.

"Are they gone?" She asked.

"No, and the raiders seemed to have called reinforcements I heard more horses galloping this way!" O'lan said urgently. He took the child from his shoulder and passed her to Thistle.

A small tear stained Fern hugged Thistles neck. Her body covered in ash to the point her black hair looked grey.

"We have no choice, we will have to collapse the cave entrance." O'lan said looking at Spruce. Thistle covered her mouth to stop the sound from leaking out.

"What about the others, many have not come back yet!" Spruce protested.

"Our duty as guardians is more important than our lives!" O'lan  said loud enough for everyone to hear. O'lan took a deep breath. "You and your mother will have to lead the family to safety."

"Linden is supposed to be the next head." Spruce protested.

"You are the oldest now." O'lan said quietly. "I can only leave this job to you."

"I will collapse the entrance from the outside. You will lead the rest to the sleeping chamber, before bringing everyone out to the other side of the mountain."

"Yes..father." Spruce accepted.

"You must go now we cant wait. They will find us soon." O'lan hurried.

Thistle still continued to hold her grandchild. As Spruce went to organize the rest of the family.
She did not complain, or yell, or cry at her situation.

"It was a blessed life." Thistle stated

"More than most have." O'lan agreed.

The couple hugged eachother knowing that it would be the last time. Before O'lan pushed his small wife away and left.

The family continued to flee down the cave tunnel. This was the area in which the Crystal's were usually found but they did not stop to look.

In some places the water was deeper than others. They moved with urgency. The sound of O'lan breaking down the entrance was deafening. The cold water soaked their clothes and splashed as they struggled to escape further into the cave. 

The tunnel opened up little by little. When they reached the large open space they felt the cave shake. The family huddled together in the knee deep water to brace against the shake.

When the cave in finished shaking the group continued to move through the large chamber. Water dripped from the walls and ceiling.

It was very cold and even with improved sight, it was still impossible to see how high the ceiling went in the low light. Spruce moved with confidence that came from familiarity.

The chamber had many ways of entering and exiting. Most of which had been blocked off with large boulders that only one of the Villiage members could lift but one was left open.

The group entered the only open side chamber. Several of the group members experienced shock at the sight of what rested there.

A dragonkin.

In the cave was a dragon kin who was in a state of deep sleep.
He had been well cared for. His long black hair was kept brushed and braided. Decorated with beads and metal brackets.

  He was positioned upright against the wall with his legs crossed under a blanket, his broken wings were kept bandaged behind him, and the most glaring  injury was the knife that had been plunged into his chest.

Dragon kin could not be injured with weapons, their skin was to tough. Only one of their own could harm them.

Pyros's body was kept on a raised platform to prevent water from soaking him. red crystals had grown around him over time and spread to the cave walls. Some of the search crystals had fallen off and dropped in to the water.

Small screams of shock went up in the group. Some wailed at the sight.

"Everyone calm down!" Spruce yelled facing the group. Thistle stood by her son still holding Fern with a stern expression.

The group quieted but the tension in the chamber did not disappear.

"It's a long story and many of you are injured sit in the water to heal your wounds." Spruce told them."