18.) Payment is due

The room was decorated with large fabric wall hangings

The room was decorated with large fabric wall hangings. The long table in the center of the room had wooden chairs on both sides and an enormous wooden chair at the head of the table.

Cerastes took his place at the head of the table.

The furniture was made in a way that was beneficial for a dragon kin. The people sitting at the table looked like children at an adult table. Standing around the room were servants and guards who kept watch.

There were five people sitting at the table. One more than usual.
He recognized four, the one on his right was A'nan.

A'nan was currently the last original member of the council. He was pale with white hair and steel blue eyes.

He is in charge of storage security. Cerastes had seen the once muscular man lose his muscular physique over time. Next to him was a man who looked similiar to A'nan but younger and taller. He did not know him but assumed he was A'nans hatchling.

The other members were, E'ran. A middle aged man with dark beard and a chubby body. Who was in charge of keeping track of debt.

U'lor, a greedy man with a slim body and crooked nose. He was in charge of information.

And Nera, a woman in her forties. She was expensively dressed and had a loud voice like her father had before her. She managed tax transportation from all regions to the capital.

"Greetings, lord Cerastes." The five members said in unison. The new one was slightly off on his timing. Cerastes heard a slight kick under the table and saw the new one wince.

E'ran stood up and delivered a book to Cerastes. It was the totals on the taxes collected. As well as a list of those who have skipped, And the names of those who will become slaves.

The ones who failed to pay their taxes in full and did not come forward when told, were skippers.

"The skip list is smaller than usual." Cerastes said pleased.

"Ah.. yes!" Money lending has become a good business. Those who cant pay now, can borrow it and pay back their loan with interest." E'ran supplied.

Cerastes nodded.

E'ran looked as if he had recieved high praise.

"The tax collected is also much larger this year than last year as the harvest was bountiful. Of course all if it has been delivered to storage" Nera said.

Cerastes did not reply but looked though the book with his head propped up with his hand.

E'ran grinned at Nera, who scowled in return. Ad if they were children fighting over a parents attention.

"New business?" Cerastes questioned not looking up from the book.

A'nan stood up his white robes moved as he gestured to the man next to him.

"I have brought my son, A'thor he will replace me next year, if you allow it." The two bowed their heads to Cerastes.

"Approved." Cerastes replied. The two visibly relaxed and sat back down.

U'lor stood up straightening the city council emblem on his tunic.
Cerastes put the book down and looked at him with interest.

"I have news from my spys in the underground, a large group has amassed with weapons and headed east yesterday evening."

"Their goal?" Cerastes asked.

"Magic tool recovery. There seems to be a tribe in the mountains that makes them."

"That's improbable, only dragons have that ability these days and my family is the only dragons in the territory." Cerastes said slightly disapointed.

U'lor said nothing

Cerastes looked at the guard against the wall. "Even if its faulty Information a group was still sent out. Assemble a squad to track them. Wipe them all out, prevent them from achieving their mission."

The guard nodded and quickly left the room quickly knowing that the squad would have to ride all night to pursue their quarry.

"If that is all your dismissed." Cerastes said.

The six exchanged glances before standing up and bowing towards the head of the table. Cerastes picked up the book off the table and left the room as the humans in the room continued to bow their heads to him.
........

Cerastes split up the list of those who had skipped and gave the list of those who were far outside the city to one of the guards in his retinue.

"Handle these." Cerastes ordered. 
Before going back to his room to rest.  He took off his dress clothes. Durable but loose fitting fabric for his top. His mantle with armored shoulder plates and his pants that laced up the sides and buttoned above his tail.

He would go out tomorrow evening and round up all of the skips in town. Then wait in the city untill his knights rounded up the rest. The skippers would have to be killed out in the square as an example.

While those who turned themselves over would only be slaves until their debt was repaid in full.

He stretched out on the bed naked. Laying on his stomach. He already felt drained from having to travel so many days and being exposed to sunlight. It took nearly a week by carriage to bring the wagons, guards, and himself to the city.

He wasnt looking forward to the return trip either as it would be slower since they would be carrying the taxed items. Food, clothing, money, pottery, and slaves.

Cerastes fell asleep.