‘Hey, how did it go?’ Derrick asked me, still fully dressed, taking a sip from his water.

‘It went good.  I think I need to learn new songs.’ I told him and he chocked on his drink.  I sat with him on the big couch and just looked at him confused.

‘You okay?’ I asked him.

He nodded and after about a minute he started talking.

‘You sing?!’ Was his first question.

‘Yeah, why?’ I asked him.

‘If I go outside, am I going to see a bunch of dead birds out there?’ he asked me.

‘I know I can’t sing.  It’s not a secret.’ I told him.

‘Mon amour, it’s not that you can’t sing…it’s that you shouldn’t.’ He said, then started to laugh.

‘You know what…don’t say my love and then insult me.  That’s not nice.’ I told him.

He chuckled, ‘And…it went good?’ he asked.

‘Yes, she fell asleep.’ I told him.

‘She fell asleep to you singing?’ he asked me.

‘Yeah, why is it so hard to believe?’ I asked him.

‘Well…I remember your singing…well kind of...’ he said.

‘Kind of?’

‘Yeah, you’re the best and everything, but you singing, well I bought ear plugs for when we’d go to karaoke night or you’d sing while you tried to clean.’ He said.

‘I heard two things in there.  One, ear plugs?!  Seriously?  If I’m that bad why would you let me sing in public if I suck so darn much?  Two, tried to clean?’ I said to him.

‘I let you sing because I love you and it made you happy.  2, I got you a blanket since you’re always cold sitting here at night.’ He said passing me a blanket.

I took the blanket from him without saying a word

When I knew he wasn’t going to bring it up I spoke up.

‘And what about your “tried to clean”?’ I asked him.

‘Well…’ he said but after a few seconds of silence he continued, ‘I’m sorry, your cleaning is amazing, you could do it for a living.’ He said.

‘You seriously think that is better than, "tried to clean"?’ I asked him, raising my eye brow and tilting my head a bit to the side.