Chapter Twelve: I Love You

Start from the beginning

Can you please come over? I think me and Liam are over.

I stopped dead. Reading the text over and over again. Her and Liam? No. This was a joke. Was it April fool’s in September or something? This was not happening.

“Niall! I need to go!” I shout to him, rushing into the bedroom and picking up my discarded jeans from last night.

“Why?”

“Dani and Liam broke up.” I say quickly. Where were the rest of my clothes? I pull my jeans on, and pick up my sweater and t-shirt, shoving them into my bag and walking back into the living room of Niall’s flat. I apply some foundation and mascara, and run my fingers through my messy sex hair. There just wasn’t time. Pulling on my TOMS I run back to Niall, kissing his lips and muttering a goodbye before leaving his flat quickly.

There were pictures taken, but I didn’t care. I didn’t care that I had left Niall’s flat at 10 in the morning, that I was wearing his t-shirt, or that my hair told all the signs of what happened between us last night. It was a quick walk to mine and Dani’s flat anyway, so I pull out my phone, ignoring the flashes in my face. Thank God, people were at school right now. I didn’t need fans following me around either. I scroll down to my contacts and press ring as I wait for the person to answer.

“Liam’s phone.”

“Zayn, what the hell has happened?” I snap quickly at Zayn who had answered Liam’s phone. “Pass the phone to Liam.”I hear ‘it’s Lennox’ on the other line and then a groan when Liam’s voice comes on the phone.

“Hi Lennox.”

“What have you done?” I snap, turning the corner, the paparazzi were still following me, but they stayed silent, probably listening to my conversation.

“Just ask Danielle. Even I don’t know what I did.”

“No, I’m asking you.” I snap and I hear Liam groan again.

“Lennox, I’m not in the mood.” He replies. I pull out my keys from my bag and place them in the lock, before closing the door on the nosy photographers.

“Whatever.” I hang up, finally reaching the floor and open the door. Immediately, I see Danielle hugging a duvet and lying across the couch watching Will & Grace.

“Dani.” I run to her, she immediately hugs me and begins to sob.

“What have I done?” She cries into me. “I didn’t mean it. Well I did. It’s just...” She pulls away from me and I wipe the tears from her eyes. “We’re going into different directions aren’t we? What’s the point in staying together if we aren’t going anywhere? But... we fought and he told me I was petty because I refused to accept that sometimes he has to deal with fame and I told him I didn’t want all the hate and the drama, I wanted him to normal! And he said he wasn’t a normal guy and if I didn’t understand why was I still with him. So I told him I didn’t know.” She let out another sob. “What’s going to happen when they all find out? I’ll be hated even more. I’m never going to be able to get away from him. Ever. I want a clean break up and he can’t even give me that!”

“I’m so sorry Dan.” I tell her, rubbing circles on her hands. “I can’t do anything about it.”

We spend hours lying together, Danielle’s cries softening after many episodes of American comedy programmes.

“I can’t believe it’s over.” She sighs when I get up to the kitchen to make us some more tea.

“It will get better.”

“How am I going to manage?” Danielle questions. “I... I’m going to have to watch you be with Niall, and I’m not going to have Liam there for me anymore. I... I lost him.” I move away from the boiling kettle and wrap my arms around her body, holding her close to me.