Chapter Fifty-Seven: One and Only

Start from the beginning

The drive was full of talks about the honeymoon and Niall’s reactions.
“But what if he reacts badly?” I ask, we’d managed to quickly sneak into the building, taking the long way up to Zayn’s flat, the stairs.

“He won’t.” Louis insists. “Sure, he’s hurt about the whole wedding thing, but he still loves you, he can’t lose all of that in two weeks. And we’ll all be there with you if he gives you a hard time.”

“Yeah.” I agree. “Good point. I just... I’m really nervous.” I admit and Dani laughs, because obviously they could tell how nervous I was, my body was practically shaking because the nerves are overpowering me, especially when I come face-to-face with Zayn’s door.

Louis leans over my shoulder and knocks loudly three times.

“I’ll get it!” I can hear Zayn shout, obviously to Niall, and then the door is opened, Zayn immediately looking at me.

“What?” He questions, pointing at me in bewilder, looking to Louis behind me, his hands resting on my shoulders, and the others circled around me, all smiling their arses off. That’s if... arses can drop off from smiling too much.

“Hey Zayn, is Niall in?” Harry asks, and Louis ushers me forwards, Zayn moving to clear the doorway into the flat, and Louis guides me to the couch, Zayn still watching on.

“What’s going on?”

“It’s a long story.” Louis explains, pushing my shoulders downwards so that I fall onto the leather couch, the cushions practically engulfing my body. “So Lennox was going to leave Rob on the day of the wedding but then got convinced otherwise, Lennox married Rob, went on the honeymoon and when they got back, Rob found out about Lennox’s plans. Now they’re separated and Lennox is back to tell Niall that she loves him.”

“You can’t be here.” Zayn looks at me directly. “He’s really upset, he doesn’t need you back here telling him all this.”
“I have to!” I protest, looking to Louis for confirmation, and Lou nods. “I have to tell him, I wanted to leave, I didn’t want to get married.”

“But you did.” Zayn argues. “It doesn’t matter if you ‘love him’ as you say, you married somebody else and rejected Niall like that... I don’t want him getting hurt.”

“He’s not going to get hurt!” Liam raises his voice louder than I had, looking angrily towards Zayn. “He’ll be happy to see her, he’ll be happy.” Zayn scoffs, opening the door and leaving it wide open. “Lennox, please leave.”

I shake my head, standing to my feet.

“Where’s Niall?” Harry asks, looking around the flat for Niall, completely ignoring Zayn’s request of my exit.

“Shower.” He says, “He’ll be out in a minute, please leave.”

I walk closer towards the other rooms of the flat, not entirely sure of my way around Zayn’s flat, but when I hear the faint sound of running water, I put my hand on the doorknob and send a challenging look to Zayn.

“Don’t. He’s upset. Please. Leave him be.”

“I can’t.” I tell him. “I love Niall, he has to know that.” I turn the handle, smiling at the click as it opens, and then quickly close it behind me, but silently, locking it behind me, Zayn can’t kick me out now.

I move over to the toilet, placing the toilet seat down, seeing Niall’s faint shadow behind the steamed up shower.

I sit there for a moment, when I can still hear the running shower, and all I can think of is words I can’t possibly say to Niall.