Chapter Fifty: Dress

Start from the beginning

“Do you have this one?” I ask Clare, a shop girl who was helping me through magazines, and her eyes perk up to the dress, immediately nodding and rushing towards Sarah, the head woman.

“Perfect!” She squeals, and runs to the back room. El comes over and sits next to me, grabbing a magazine.

“Let’s see.” She says, referring to the magazine in my hand, and I hand it to her, her eyes glazing over the dress.

“Niall will love it.” It was clear that the name was an accident, her hand going to her mouth, covering it and looking to be with apologetic eyes.

“Lennox!” I look up, Sarah and Clare holding a dress in their hands, holding it so that it doesn’t hit the floor. “Let’s make you look like a bride.”

The dress was fiddly, first I stepped inside, immediately it was pulled up, and I had to tangle my head and arms through the delicate lace that wrapped around my body. Then sache was done up, and I felt helpless as Clare and Sarah muttered incoherent curses about the damn thing that took forever to be tied to perfection, and was only going to be undone again when I take it off.

I step out, the curtain around me pulled away, and there are three collective gasps, Dani and El tearing up at the sight of me.

“Oh my God.” Dani breathes out, staring at me in the dress. “I don’t care if it’s the first dress, this is the one!” Sarah walks off, going to her phone, but my eyes are still on Kendall, waiting for the feedback.

“Rob will die seeing you in that.” Kendall motions up and down. “You look absolutely stunning.”

El stays silent, and I bite my lip, she’s just watching me, almost critically.

“Hang on.” She stands to her feet, going towards the bathroom, I take a step forwards, but then Sarah comes back, flapping her arms like a mad woman.

“I just got off the phone with the designer of the dress!” She exclaims, “And she’s willing to make you a one of a kind!”

A one of a kind? By the goddess who made the dress that seemed too perfect for me?

“You’re joking!” I reply, my mouth dropping open. If she knew exactly what I looked for in a dress... she could make my perfect wedding dress. This was insane.

“No! She says she wants to meet with you in a few weeks with some designs and you can choose which one you want!”

“This is insane.” I blurt out, how was it that I was marrying the man I love, and everything seemed to be going perfectly? Everything was going to plan, the venue, the church, the honeymoon, photographers and florists, and now... now the perfect dress was being made only for me. But there was just one thing that was bugging my mind.

“Is El still in the bathroom?” I ask, Kendall and Dani nod, and I pull the dress to the same height as my ankles, stepping down from the pedestal and following the signs for the bathroom, wanting to know exactly what was wrong with her. When I reach the door, I open it slightly, about to announce myself to her, when I hear a raise voice.

“I can’t do it Lou.” My eye goes to the small gap between the door and the wall, El is pacing in her jeans, her phone tightly pressed against her ear, her other hand playing with the ends of her hair. “She says she’s happy, she smiles, she jokes, she talks non-stop about the wedding. But... that’s just the thing. I know Lennox, when she was dating Niall, recounting stories about everything, she didn’t talk about the actual dates, it would be how Niall reacted to everything. But now... “Oh yes we booked the photographer, and we’ve sorted out flowers drone drone drone.” She doesn’t mention how Rob feels about the wedding, even when I try and get it out of her, hell, she doesn’t even mention how she feels about the wedding. I’m afraid that she thinks she can’t get out of it, I’m afraid that she wants to be marrying Niall, not Rob.” El stays silent, clearly hanging of every word that Louis is saying to her. “Lou, I don’t know if I can stay silent and put a smile on my face. How am I supposed to tell her that I don’t want her to marry him? The smile doesn’t reach her eyes, and when she thinks we’re not looking, every damn time her smile drops and she just... thinks. And... I noticed, she still has the treble clef bracelet... yeah, the one that Niall got her, that says Niall and Lennox, maybe it’s her subconscious saying that- No, Lou- Listen! She wouldn’t have kept it if she didn’t have any feelings for him.”