💔Make You Stay - Jacklyn

this was requested by one of my irl's. she wants it to be about her and her ex boyfriend so i'm gonna change the names when i send it her, but i made it roadtrip related just for the sake of posting it in this book.

~~~

"Talk about our future like we had a clue,
Never planned that one day I'd be losing you,
In another life, I would be your boy,
We'd keep all our promises,
Be us against the world,
In another life, I would make you stay,
So I wouldn't have to say you were the one that got away."

~~~

Brook's POV (third person but it's talking about Brooklyn).

If there was one thing he could change about himself, it would be how much of an overthinker he was. He couldn't help it. It wasn't his fault. But it ruined so many things that could've been amazing.

As he thinks back to that night, he remembers all the tears and all the pain. The erratic thumping of his heart, heavy with regret. He remembers watching Jack walk away and not being able to do a single thing about it. He remembers screaming for him to come back, begging for him not to leave. But he did. Jack left and it was all his fault.

Or that's what he told himself.

When he first met Jack, he never thought that boy would mean as much to him as he did. He just thought it was yet another relationship that would fly by and he'd soon be moving on with some other guy. But it wasn't.

Jack was different.

Jack was special.

Jack was his soulmate.

So of course he tried to hold on as long as possible. He managed to hold on for so long. But he eventually let Jack slip through his fingers and it was the biggest mistake he had ever made.

He lost the love of his life and it was all his fault.

Or that's what he told himself.

Maybe if he did things differently, Jack would've stayed. Maybe if he was prettier or smarter. Maybe if he said the right things and did the right things, it would've made Jack want to stick around. Or maybe if his head wasn't so fucked up, he wouldn't have pushed Jack away.

That's what it was.

His messed up thoughts.

His demons cost him the best thing that had ever happened to him, and no matter how hard he fought back, they always won.

They wouldn't let him be happy and he had to be okay with that.

It's what he deserved anyway.

Or that's what he told himself.

Whenever he thinks back to the night it ended, he feels the pain all over again. Only it gets worse the more he thinks about it. The guilt rises and it makes him feel trapped. It sickens him to think about how much he doubted Jack. Whenever Jack would hang out with his friends, he would get insanely jealous and freak out. Of course that scared Jack off. Who would want to be with someone like that?