🌹No Matter What - Bronny

"Took me years to tell my mother,
I expected the worst,
I gathered all the courage in the world,
She said, "I love you no matter what,
I just want you to be happy,
And always be who you are."

~~~

Brook's POV

I trembled, feeling all eyes on me as the stranger handed me his number. Sending a wink my way, he walked away and I nervously shuffled back over to my friends.

"He flirted with you." Andy stated.

I laughed awkwardly. "Yeah, I know right!"

He raised his eyebrow, but didn't say anything as I took my seat, resting my head on Sonny's shoulder.

"You okay?" He whispered. I shrugged, making him aware that I wasn't. I wasn't okay. I was seconds away from a breakdown, and I refused to cry in front of the boys.

"I need to go." I replied quietly. He understood what I meant, taking my hand and quickly leading me to the car. He sent the boys a text on the group chat telling them we were going home before he started the car. He kept a comforting hand on my knee the entire time, in no way pressuring me to talk. I intertwined our fingers, staring out of the window as we drove. It was a short ride, and we were soon back home. He led me inside, not letting go of my hand until I pulled away to head to my room.

"You know where I am if you need me." He called after me. I didn't reply, quickly shutting my door and settling down on my bed. I needed to cry, I knew that. I just didn't know why I was crying. It was all so confusing and I found myself not being able to let go, stuck in my head with the many thoughts clouding my brain. I bit my lip, taking my phone from my pocket and opening his contact.

Brooklyn: hey

Stranger: hey pretty boy x

Brooklyn: why did you give me your number?

Stranger: cause you're cute x

Brooklyn: how do you know if I'm gay?

Stranger: I don't. The fact that you accepted my flirting says a lot though, doesn't it?

I didn't reply, throwing my phone across the room as I attempted to bite back the tears threatening to fall. It was no use, and a minute later I was completely trashing my room, letting out screams of anger and confusion as the tears poured down my face.

"Brookie!" Sonny shouted, grabbing my arm to stop me from smashing my guitar. I dropped it, falling to the floor as I sobbed into my hands. He was quick to move, pulling me into his chest and whispering soothing words in my ear.

"Wanna talk about it babe?" He whispered once I had calmed down. I shook my head, pausing before nodding slightly. He pulled me up so we were sat on my bed, waiting patiently as I found the right words to say.

"I'm scared, Sonny." I admitted, not wanting to just blurt it out.

"Scared of what?"

I closed my eyes, looking down at my lap as I whispered my next words. "I don't know who I am anymore."

"You're Brooklyn. Beautiful, smart, funny, strange Brooklyn. The most genuine boy I have ever met in my life. The kindest boy. The sweetest boy. The boy who would do anything for the ones he cares about. My best friend. The boy I love more than anyone in the world. You might not know who you are, but I certainly do."

His voice was soft and genuine, and I actually believed his words. Until I remembered just what I had been crying about.

"I've been living a lie." I mumbled.

"What do you mean?"

"You saw the guy flirting with me today, didn't you?" He nodded, waiting for me to continue. "I guess he could see something I had been struggling to come to terms with. The thing I have been pushing to the back of my mind. The thing I have been hiding from everybody. The thing that makes me me. Without it, I'm not myself. And I hate myself, Sonny. I hate who I am. It hurts knowing the people I love are gonna hate me too."

"No one's gonna hate you because you're gay Brookie." He reassured. I looked up at him with wide eyes, not sure how he knew since I had yet to tell him.

"Don't look so surprised hun." He chuckled. "I know. And I don't hate you, you know? If anything, I love you even more. You wanna know why?"

I nodded and he smiled, pulling me into a hug.

"Because you're Brooklyn. Beautiful, smart, funny, strange Brooklyn. The most genuine boy I have ever met in my life. Nothing could ever change that. Especially not who you fall in love with. I just want you to be happy."

He pulled away, placing his hands lightly on my cheeks, wiping the tears away with the pads of his thumbs. "You should never be scared of being who you are, because the real you is amazing. I wouldn't have you any other way."

I glanced down, acting without thinking as I hastily pushed my lips to his. He didn't kiss back, but didn't pull away either. Perhaps he knew I wasn't thinking straight in that moment. I sheepishly pulled away, biting back a smile. "Sorry."

"It's okay." He chuckled, pulling me close.

I knew he loved me no matter what.

~time skip brought to you by the chair that got thrown across my classroom today #stopchairabuse~

In the car, hand in hand with my best friend, I felt safe. I felt loved. I felt as though I had all the confidence in the world. Enough confidence for me to come out to my mother. But as we got nearer to my family home, the nerves started to kick in and all my previous doubts came rushing back.

"Brook? You ready?" He asked as he parked the car.

I hesitated before shaking my head. "I'm terrified. What if she doesn't accept me?"

He lifted our hands, bringing them to his lips and kissing the back of mine. "She will. She'd be crazy to let you go."

I sighed. "I'm just scared that she'll think less of me when she finds out."

"That won't happen, Brook. She loves you more than anyone else in this world. She doesn't want to lose her baby boy. She just wants you to be happy."

I sent him a small smile, nodding slightly. "Okay, I'm ready."

A/N
Hey guys. Part two coming soon. I absolutely adore this song and I just had to write a one shot inspired by it. If you didn't know, I'm obsessed with Calum Scott right now.

Hope you enjoyed!

Bye guys Xx