Interview 138: EmilyMahTippetts

1.  Can you tell me a little bit about yourself? I'm a 38 year old mother of two from New Mexico who's been writing since I first learned to hold a pencil.

2.When did you first realize you wanted to be an author? I have always wanted to be an author. It's hard to imagine myself without that dream.

3. How long does it take you to write a book? These days I take about 4 months to write a book, though honestly, they take as long as they take and if they're not ready in my allotted time, I go over the deadlines. I've done this for long enough that I no longer worry that I'll get stuck in rewrites forever. I do finish the books I start, so I give them each the time they need.

4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Still writing, still a mom - just with older kids. I have a very long term set of goals with my career, so even if I'm still just making a little money on the side five years from now, the game won't be up just yet.

5. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?  I have small children so I don't really do schedules. I keep *them* on a schedule, but for time for myself, I take it when I can get it. Some days I write only a few words, and some days I write several thousand. Adaptability is key.

6.If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?  Honestly? I only want to write my own books. There are a lot of other books out there that I love, but I've never in my life wished to be someone else or to have a different life in any way.

7. What is the weirdest thing that has ever been said or done to you by a fan? (Internet stalkers count)  Hard to say. All my fans are pretty cool. I think the weirdest ones are the ones who get my sense of humor. It's a sure sign they're very, very warped.

8.What do you like to do when you're not writing?  Spend time with my family, read, sleep, work with polymer clay, watch children's movies - I could go on and on!

9. What does your family think of your writing? I've been a writer for as long as my husband has known me, so he's always been supportive. I met him just after I got home from the Clarion West Writer's Workshop for Science Fiction and Fantasy, so he knew right from the start how serious I was about it. My parents have always been supportive too, though I know it helps that I completed law school before I turned serious focus onto my writing career. They want to know that I'll always be able to feed myself.

10.  How do you think you've evolved creatively? I have very little native talent, as in practically none. Everything I do artistically, be it writing or sculpting, etc. is all from skills I've acquired along the way, because I always wanted to have artistic ability, so I made it a priority.

11.What is your favorite quote?  I always say this interviews, but: "The moment it's not your fault is the moment your career is over." There's no point complaining about what you don't get in your career. It's important to just work towards what you want.

12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say? On Wattpad I hear from them all the time, which is why I love it here. Most people are very polite and positive, but I don't mind the negative comments. Nothing is going to appeal to everyone, and I appreciate anyone who reaches out.

13. What do you think makes a good story? A good plot and well rounded characters - which may sound like a generic reply, but it's these basic principles that can make or break a story. Whenever you read or watch a story that doesn't satisfy, 99% of the time it failed at one or both of these points.

14. Imagine your main character dies on page one.  Everything else remains the same.  Describe the new plot to your book . There's no story without my main character, because every story belongs to someone. A story that doesn't belong to anyone is like a thought without a mind to create it. So if Lizzie Warner in my current book died on page one, I'd be writing a different book about a different character.

15.  As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? Be a writer. That's been a constant in my life.

16. Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why? I'd love to meet Jane Austen. She cracks me up, and I admire her so much.

17. What was the easiest part of writing? Hard to say. Probably giving up - because I've seen *so many* people do it. Writing takes time and effort and I think it's pushing forward day after day that takes its toll on people.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? I always learn from the critiques I get of each book. So this time around Caisey Quinn set me straight on making sure every romance plot has A Big Moment - since I didn't start out in romance, I'm still learning the ropes. Stephanie Burgis pointed out where specifically I needed more emotion, and basically gave me a road map for the whole novel.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? Thanks for reading. I appreciate every single one of you!

20. Do you have any advice for other writers? Persevere. Most overnight successes are decades in the making.