Interview 41: adam_and_jane

1. Can you tell me about yourself?

I’m a Jersey girl with an obsessive personality and a slow day-job.

2. What inspired you to write?

I started writing because the book I wanted to read didn’t exist. (Also, have you seen Adam Levine? Yeah. That too.)

3. How did you find wattpad?

I wrote the first several chapters of Obsessed, and I was looking for someplace to share them with other Maroon 5 fans. 

4.  Where do your ideas come from?

Maroon 5 songs were obviously a big inspiration. I also get inspiration all the time from other books, TV shows, and movies. My current book, Fill Me Up, has no song lyrics and is totally inspired by all my favorite romantic comedies. 

5. Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?

I worked to an outline with Obsessed and The Liar’s Wife. With Fill Me Up, I’m flying by the seat of my pants with no outline, although I think I know the ending.

6. How do you think you've evolved creatively?

I’ve gotten much faster at writing! 

7. What is the hardest thing about writing?

The hardest part is always starting. Once I get rolling, it tends to flow. 

8. Would you call yourself a wattpad celebrity? Why so or why not?

Not even close. Although I’ve started to get a smidgen of hate mail, so I guess that’s a sign I’m moving in that direction :/

9. Are you working on any new story you can tell me about?

I’m in the middle of Fill Me Up right now. It’s a Romantic Comedy that follows a guy named Adam and his lady love Jane, as he tries to convince her to marry him. I’m not sure what’s next after I complete this one. It may be time to invent some new characters pretty soon.

10. What is your favorite quote?

Do, or do not. There is no ‘try.’ - Yoda

11. How was the publishing process?

I hit the “Save & Publish” button. It usually works. (Oh wait, is there a publishing process beyond Wattpad?)

12. Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?

At the rate I’m going, I should be right around Book #73 of my series. 

13. What is your favorite movie and why?

I don’t even know where to start. I like a lot of movies. All kinds of different movies. I make a lot of movie references in my books. I guess I’ll say anything with Daniel Day-Lewis because he is an acting god. For a really good time, watch The Last of the Mohicans and A Room With a View back-to-back, and try to wrap your head around how the same guy played those two completely opposite characters. 

14. What advice would you give to your younger self?

Stop living to please your parents. You should be living to please your boyfriend. (No no, that second part is a joke.)

15. Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?

I guess it’s between Jane Austen and Adam Levine. Oh, who am I kidding? Obviously Adam.

16. If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?

Someone asked me this before, and I’ll stick with the same answer. The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I love stories that mess with chronology, and this book has the most ridiculously convoluted timeline ever. Plus it made me sob my eyes out.

17. What was the hardest part of writing your book? 

I got really sad when I finished it. It’s almost like a grieving process. I wasn’t prepared for it the first time.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 

I learned that other people besides me seem to find my daydreams entertaining.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

To my readers who’ve stuck with me through all three books and always take the time to comment (you know who you are), I feel like I really know you guys by now, and you will always be near and dear to my heart.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Originality is overrated. The goal is not to be original. The goal is to be good. Oh yeah, that’s another favorite quote: "No man who values originality will ever be original. But try to tell the truth as you see it, try to do any bit of work as well as it can be done for the work's sake, and what men call originality will come unsought." – C.S. Lewis