Interview 45: HonorInTheRain

1. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself? 

I'm not really sure what there is to tell about myself! I'm a college student and I absolutely love to write. 

2. What inspired you to write? 

I can't remember what first inspired me to start writing, just that I was really young when I started. I think the first story I ever wrote was when I was maybe six or seven, and I've been writing ever since.

3. Do you have a specific writing style? 

 I have no idea if you could pin a specific writing style to the way I write. Every writer has their own voice, so to me, no two authors really ever sound the same. I guess I just write the way I write!

4. How did you come up with your titles? 

When picking a title for something I've written, I sort of try and find a title that has meaning with what I've written, or maybe even a line that one of the characters has said or something like that. It honestly depends on what I've written.

5. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? 

 I would love for the readers to grasp whatever message they think they need to take from the novel, because I've found that a book sometimes never means exactly the same thing to two people. 

6. How much of the book is realistic? 

I think the family dynamics of In 27 Days are completely realistic, and also just how awkward relationships can be between two teenagers when they're just getting to know each other and dealing with their feelings. 

7. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? 

A few of the character's quirks might be based off of people I know in real life, but for the most part, nothing of the story is based off of any experiences I've had. 

8. What books have most influenced your life most? 

Oh, goodness, TONS of books have influenced my life. Harry Potter is definitely one of them, among others. 

9. Describe your writing style in ten words or less.

Describe my writing style in ten words or less? I have no idea! I don't think I can! 

10. Where do you get your ideas?

I can get ideas for stories ANYWHERE. Seriously. Anything can serve as inspiration if you keep your eyes open.

11. What are some things you like to do when you’re not writing?

When I'm not writing, I love to read, spend time with my friends and family, watching movies, or hiking and camping. Lots of different things.

12. What distinguishes good writing from bad writing?

What distinguishes "good writing" from "bad writing" might be a little hard to explain, because it depends on your definition of good and bad writing. But I think if you're writing, you have to tell the story the best way that you can.

13. If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be?

 Hmm...a book about my life might be titled, "My Mind is an Engima" or something like that. 

14. Imagine your characters are on survivor.  Who will they vote out of the book?

Oh my goodness! I love this question! 

 If my characters were on Survivor, I think St. Pierre and Havoc would TOTALLY be voted off the island straight away. If you've read the story, then it's totally obvious as to why.

15.  Do you see writing as a career or a hobby?

I've been writing for so long, I sort of see it as more than just a hobby - it's what I do to deal with every day life and my thoughts and feelings and pretty much everything else. I write because there are stories that I want to tell. I would love to have writing be my career, because that would just be a major bonus.

16. Will you have a new story coming out soon? If so can you tell us about it? 

Will I have a new story coming out soon? I have no idea. Maybe over the summer, but I make no promises. My schedule has been so hectic lately I barely have the time to work on stories I've already started a long time ago.

17. What was the hardest part of writing your book? 

I think one of the hardest things about writing is becoming attached to your characters and then writing out a scene or dialogue that hurts them in a way, even if it is necessary to the plot line. It's just...ahhh!! 

18. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 

While writing my book, I think I learned that I - and everyone else - can do almost anything if you really want it and put your mind to it. 

19. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

I'd like to just say THANK YOU to my readers. Like, seriously. They are AMAZING and their enthusiasm is incredibly, and they've fallen in love with my work just as much as I've loved creating it, and that feeling is just indescribable.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

You know, I get asked this question a lot, and I'm still not even sure of what advice I can actually give. Mainly, it would have to be - JUST KEEP WRITING! Don't give up, even if you do get discouraged - because it will happen, trust me - and have faith in yourself and your writing that you can keep going.