Interview 51: theshakespearelover

1. Can you tell me about yourself?
Hello, I'm Elena and I'm 16 this year. Most of the time, I'm an extrovert but when I'm around people who are louder, funnier, more hyper than me, my mouth stays shut. I think I have an issue with claiming the limelight only for myself...oops

2. What inspired you to write?
I wanted to put my imaginations in words and be able to recall my daydreams years later

3. Is writing a hobby or career to you?
Writing is definitely a hobby I do when I'm free. It's a struggle to find time to write.

4. Do you want your stories to be published one day?
Ummmm that's a hard one. I'm terribly afraid of letting my mother read my stories because I bet she'd ridicule my "fantasies".

5. What do you do when you aren't writing?
I study (obviously!), try to finish the ever-growing mountain of homework and I fence competitively!

6. If you could spend the day with one of your characters who would it be and what would you do?Honestly I would like to spend a day with Penny, a fairy from my book Enchanted. Heck, I'd cage her and put a magnifying glass to her wings. I think I'm an awful person but imagine the riches capturing a fairy could give you! LOL

7. How much of the book is realistic?
How much of which book is realistic? If you're talking Footsteps On My Heart, I'd say 30%... But for Secondhand, it'd be able 95% haha

8. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Footsteps On My Heart is based on an experience my ex-classmate told me. It's not really my story to tell, though :P Secondhand is probably somewhat close to an autobiography, in which I wrote about my experience in school, with my friends and oh gosh it's making me cringe as I think about it

9. What is your main goal with writing books?
I want to sharpen my narrating skills, know how to show-and-not-tell and record down the stories that are of interest to myself and others.

10. What job did you want to be as a kid?
A doctor or a teacher. I wanna be a humanities professor now :)

11.Do you ever experience writer's block?
Of course! I think every writer has, at some point of their writing journey, experienced it before. It just hits me suddenly and I'm left not knowing what to write next. It's so horrible that I usually abandon the writing (a reason why most of my books are incomplete argh)

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write?
I MUST work with an outline or I'll have writer's block.

13. Imagine your main character dies on page one. Everything else remains the same. Describe the new plot to your book.
Oh wow, if Charlie from Enchanted dies on page 1, I'd reckon that Finnegan marries Cherie (??) and submits to a boring life of listening to Cherie whine. He'd give up his throne to his uncle and Anton would be jolly, cheeky, none of that jealousy and hatred harvesting in his heart.

14. Where do the your ideas come from?
Ideas come in any form to me from anywhere. I believe that anyone can get inspiration from wherever, as long as one is a receptive looker. I get most of them from things I hear, from the gloomy weather or even on the bus. I form loads of 'what ifs' in my mind.

15. What is the hardest thing about writing?
The hardest thing of me is finding the right words, the right sentence structure to make the story flow in a way that evokes emotion from the readers.

16. Will you have a new story coming out soon? If so can you tell us about it?
For NaNoWriMo last November, I wrote a story about spies (incomplete, again...) but I doubt I'd put it up on Wattpad just yet, because I would like it to feel personal. I've got a story floating around in my head about a group of animal smugglers.

17. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
My answer would be the same thing as the hardest thing about writing, which is finding the right words and sentence structure.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
One significant thing I've learnt is that it's not really the most grandiloquent, profound words you use that impresses people. It's how you weave simple, understandable-by-all words together to create feelings that strikes people the most.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you so, so, so much for every comment, vote and support you have given me. I appreciate them all and I know that I haven't had the most frequent updates!

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?
KEEP CALM AND KEEP WRITING! :D