Interview 100: MLB998

1. Can you tell me something about yourself?

Whenever someone asks me that question I just blank out and feel like the most boring person on the planet, but I'll try to find something to say... Well, my name is Marine, and I'm a High School student in France. I'm bilingual French/English because I lived in the US for a while. And I like to read and write (surprising, I know) and also to draw. 

2. What inspired you to write?

My very creative imagination. I don't know how I come up with some of these ideas (since I mostly write Fantasy, I usually don't get inspiration from life events), I just do, and sometimes they keep bothering me until I write them down.

3. One of main character commits a crime. Describe how and why.

That's a hard question... Chase, because the king ordered him to kill a spy who was giving away important information to the enemy.  Chase would probably challenge him to a duel or make his death look like an accident... Don't worry though, the guy has a conscience and he wouldn't do it without sound proof.

4. If you could have any one of your characters become a real person, who would it be and what would you do?

Well I don't have that many characters yet... but I think I'd have Chase from Secret Wings come alive  so he can take me to Aeolus (This is where the winged people in my book live). I think that would be pretty cool.

5. Is writing a hobby or career to you?

At least for right now, it's a hobby.

6. Do you want your stories to be published one day?

That would be amazing, but I still have lots to work on.

7. What do you do when you aren't writing?

I have school, and of course with that comes a ton of homework.  I also hang out with my friends and family, draw, read, and DIY.

8. What is your main goal with writing books?

Right now, it's mostly to entertain people, give them something fun to read about.

9. What books have most influenced your life most?

Harry Potter, definitely, but so many more. When I was little, I loved books by Roald Dahl, too.

10. What job did you want to be as a kid?

I wanted to be a teacher... I've changed my mind now.

11.Do you ever experience writer’s block?

Just like every writer, there are a few moments where I don't really know what to write next, but it's usually not too important, and it's on a story that I'm not too serious about.

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write?

I have a basic idea of the characters and plots, but usually I just write and let the characters do what they want.

13. Do you see writing as a career?

This is kind of like question number 5... So again, writing is more of a hobby than anything.

14. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I guess my favorite author would be J.K. Rowling.  "Harry Potter" shows so much creativity, and somehow she manages to almost make us believe all of the Harry Potter world is real.  I also love how she managed to include mythical creatures and enhance them and make them more realistic.  Who would have thought that a half giant or a werewolf/potion teacher could be so endearing?

15. Who designed the covers?

I assume you mean the covers of the books I have on Wattpad? In that case, me.

16. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Names.  If I could make a good story by calling characters "person 1," "person 2," "enemy guy1," "Not-that-important-yet-necessary-character 3," I would. Satisfying character, alliances, and species names are so hard for me to come up with...

17. What was the easiest part of writing your book?

Coming up with the idea, I guess

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Secret Wings is the first book I have ever written (before I only made short stories,) so as you can imagine I learned A LOT.  Way too much for me to write on here, so I  hope you'll excuse me for not having an example.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Yes! I know I've said this already, but you guys are AMAZING!  Honestly, without all of my supportive readers, Secret Wings would have never made it past the third chapter.  So thank you!

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

This is probably not the first time you've heard it, but just write! Don't feel like you have to go by anyone's rules if you don't want to, just let you're imagination run free and create your story.  (That being said, if you follow the rules of grammar, it'll make your story better!)

At first you might feel that what you've written sucks, but don't give up, keep writing and stay focused, and I guaranty you'll get better.hough I'm not sure if that's really part of 'writing' the book.