Interview 34: JessiEsparza

1. Can you tell me something about yourself?

 I am a graphic designer by trade

2. What inspired you to write? 

I needed another creative outlet that wasn't visual and more storytelling based. I've always liked creating stories, so writing was the perfect option for me.

3. One of main character commits a crime.  Describe how and why. 

Considering that most of the characters in Tales have committed a crime or two this is a tough choice. I suppose, if Moon, the first main character we're introduced to, were to commit a crime, it would be to help her family. She has a really high moral standard, so I doubt she could harm/kill another person, but maybe something minor like petty theft is plausible.

4. If you could have any one of your characters become a real person, who would it be and what would you do?

Ivan, definitely. He'd be incredibly fun to just hang out with. He's a little crazy, but upbeat and sees the world in a positive way.

5. Is writing a hobby or career to you?

Currently writing is a hobby, but perhaps someday it could be a career.

6. Do you want your stories to be published one day?

Yes. I don't know if Tales will ever be published in any profitable kind of way, but other books I've written I would like to have published

7. What do you do when you aren't writing?

I'm a fairly standard 20-something when it comes to things I do when not writing or working. I do daydream a lot, often about what I'm writing.

8. What is your main goal with writing books?

Honestly, I just want to share these stories in my head with others. If I can do that in a professional way then great, but if not, that's fine too. I'm so affected by stories, either books or television or film, and I want others to have that experience too.

9.  Do you see yourself in any of the characters? 

I'm sure there's a little bit of me in some of the characters. Marion from Tales has a similar thought process as mine. She would be the closest.  However, there aren't any characters that I particularly identify with. If anything, I've tried to avoid that.

10.  Do you listen to music while you write? If so what?

I have designated playlists on Spotify for different stories I'm writing. Usually they put me in the right mood. Or I just get caught up in the songs and am completely unproductive.

11. Do you have any hobbies? If so what?

Writing and art/design kind of take up my life.

12. What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

I'm one of those people who didn't appreciate reading until I was older. One of the few books I really loved was the Little House on the Prairie series.

13.Who does your covers? If you do, what programs do you use? 

 I create my covers, and I use Photoshop.

14. When naming your characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning?

I'm pretty terrible at naming, especially secondary characters. I lucked out with Tales that most, if not all, of the characters already have names or at least something for me to go off of. When picking out names, sometimes I go by meaning, and other times just by how the name sounds in my head and if it feels right.

15. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I have a few favorites: Khaled Hosseini, Leigh Bardugo, Matthew Pearl, Christopher Moore, Erin Morgenstern. I suppose what they all have in common is that their works are incredibly immersive. So much thought is put into the writing, and the world building, and the characters.

16. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Getting through the slow chapters, the ones that have to be written, but to me are boring

17. What was the easiest part of writing your book? 

Dialogue. I love writing dialogue. 

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 

 I learned a lot about myself as a writer, what I have patience for and what I don't. There are certain parts of the writing process that I love, and other parts that I run away from like a bad ex-boyfriend.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

THANK YOU! Seriously. I went through a period of time when I had put Tales on the back burner and was letting it wither. Then some of you very politely prodded me to keep going. It was immensely helpful, and I will keep writing this story as long as I am capable.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Keep going. Sometimes it's very easy to get caught up doubts and unmet expectations that you want to quit. But if you love writing, then you are a writer and nothing else really matters.