Interview 59: JasonKrumbine

1. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
I am a man.
Wait, is that too little?
Okay. I’ll give you the highlights: I’m married. I’m a born again Christian. I live in Manhattan. I love to write. I love to read. I prefer Star Trek over Star Wars. And I’m a big comic book nerd.

2. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
Around the time I was sixteen. I wrote some short stories and serialized tales that I handed out to my co-workers at the library. One was a short story trilogy called, “Haunted Library” where I cast myself and all my co-workers in a haunted library (duh) and killed each one of us off in horribly grotesque ways. Surprisingly, it was a big hit at the workplace. Although a few people complained that their deaths weren't grotesque enough.

3. How long does it take you to write a book?
Whelp, that depends. These days, I try to keep my stories around 25,000 to 30,000 words, which is usually a little over a 120 pages or thereabouts. I aim to write at least 2,000 words every day, Monday through Friday. But I really try to push myself to hit 5,000 words. So, on average, the actual writing can take me anywhere from one week to two and a half. Sometimes I do some plotting and outlining beforehand and that can take a few days, rounding out the whole process, not including editing, to roughly three weeks. Of course, I’ve been known to hit a roadblock or two, and a three week project ends up taking three months.

4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully doing more of the same, only being more successful at it. I’d love to also, maybe, one day get into writing for TV. I really love the serialized format and TV is the perfect medium for that.

5. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I try to match my schedule up with my wife’s so we both have the same time off. So if she’s working in the late afternoon, I’ll do the majority of my words from 3-8. Otherwise I like to get started in the morning and try to be done by the afternoon.

6. If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
I would have love to be the original creator of the Green Lantern comic. I just love that concept so much. It’s such a simple and brilliant concept: guy gets a magic ring that’ll create anything he can imagine. Immediately, I have half a dozen different story ideas.

7. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
My first full length novel was “Fruitbasket from Hell” and I wrote when I was 18 or 19. It’s gone through a few revisions since then, of course.

8. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Read. I love reading and watching TV. Since I live in Manhattan, my wife and I also visit Central Park a lot and explore the city on the regular basis.

9. What does your family think of your writing?
My wife loves it. She’s my first reader and has been very supportive of me from the beginning.

10. Imagine your characters from your favorite book are on survivor.  Who will they vote out of the book?
In “Fruitbasket from Hell,” Nicky would probably get voted off first.

11. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
32, including the collected editions of the webcomic I did for a year. “Fruitbasket from Hell,” though, is probably still my favorite because that’s where I created Alex Cheradon and Alex is, by far, my favorite character.

12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
Not as much as I would like. I love to hear from readers! When you’re a writer, all you really have are the voices in your head (That sounded crazier then it really is.). It’s great to get feedback on a project. For the most part, when I do hear from readers they always have the nicest things to say.

13. What do you think makes a good story?
Great characters. Great characters can make or break any story. If your readers love your characters, then they’ll buy into the story.

14.  Imagine your main character dies on page one.  Everything else remains the same.  Describe the new plot to your book.
Well, if Alex Cheradon dies on page one, “Fruitbasket from Hell” turns into a very different book. Probably something along the lines of apocalyptic fiction.

15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I really wanted to be a superhero when I was a kid. I loved comic books and I thought it just would have been awesome to have Green Lantern’s or the Flash’s powers.

16. Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
I’d love to sit down with Stephen King and just pick his brain on writing.

17. What was the easiest part of writing?
Coming up with the idea. I get ideas all day long. It’s moving from idea to product that’s the hard part.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Don’t be afraid to plan a little. Sometimes it helps to know where you want your story to end.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you for reading. If it wasn’t for you guys, I wouldn’t have a job. You’re the best.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?
You’re not a writer unless you write. So pick an idea, sit down and start writing.