Interview 121: Hopemore

1. Can you tell me something about yourself?

I'm a seventeen year old Muslim girl, born and raised in Canada. I love the colour periwinkle and cats and Tim Hortons :) Im pretty out going and friendly. I LOVE Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings.

2. What inspired you to write?

I cant say what exactly, only that I always wrote for as long as I can remember. I think the moment I took it seriously and started working on novels was when I finished the Harry Potter series.

3. One of main character commits a crime.  Describe how and why.

One of the main characters from The Best of Us, the antagonist, Khalid, is always committing crimes. He's in a gang so he sees a fair bit of violence and he does drugs. Most of it is behind the scenes so the gang parts don't come up. I'd say he's doing all of this because he feels isolated and weak; and just wants some place to really call home. He does drugs to escape - but to escape what, exactly, comes up in the sequel, The Two of Us.

4. If you could have any one of your characters become a real person, who would it be and what would you do?

 Leila. She's crazy and a huge fashionista. She's outgoing and witty and has a wicked sense of humour. If she was a real person, we'd probably hang out at her favourite place, the mall!

5. Is writing a hobby or career to you?

A hobby.

6. Do you want your stories to be published one day?

Absolutely! I would love that!

7. What do you do when you aren't writing?

 Jumping on my trampoline. Talking to friends. Eating chocolate. Reading. Thinking of writing :P

8. What is your main goal with writing books?

There's a lesson in every book I've written on Wattpad (except maybe Laughter House which is a horror and can serve as a good scare)

9. What books have most influenced your life most?

The Harry Potter Series, The Ruby Key, Graceling and Fire. They all helped me decide weather or not writing was for me. They basically inspired me to write :)

10. What job did you want to be as a kid? 

A vet! :)

11.Do you ever experience writer’s block?

Yeah, sometimes. I usually get over it within a few weeks.

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write?

 I actually write out an outline for every novel, but ditch it halfway through :p I guess I'm not too committed to outlines. :/

13. Do you see writing as a career?

Yes, I do. Maybe while I'm teaching (as I hope to pursue a career as a teacher too)

14. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

J.K Rowling and we all know what I'm about to say next...THE HARRY POTTER SERIES! Its just that..there's so much to love about her and the way she writes. Its like we peer into her soul when we read her work.

15. Who designed the covers?

ForeverMuslim designed the covers for 'The Best of Us', 'The Two of Us' and 'Pray'. I made the cover for Laughter House.

16. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

 The emotional parts. I really had to connect to the characters and the words when I write these parts and sometimes its hard because some of my characters are complex.

17. What was the easiest part of writing your book?

The happy parts. The parts where Sabrina and her friends hang out at the mall and have fun. Its easy because I can take parts from my own life and write about it using my characters.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Enjoy it. Its so fun if you just take a moment and breathe and just try to see it from a readers point of view.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really couldn't have mustered up the motivation to go on if it weren't for my followers. They support me and actually read my work (like wow) and I really just couldn't have done anything without there enthusiasm.:)

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

I think writers should take their time with their work. Patience is key. Don't lose hope!