Interview 106: RK_Anne

1. Can you tell me a bit about yourself?

 I'm a 28 yr old single mother of one (an 8 yr old), I love to read n write in my free time. I work as a tattoo designer n am finishing up my degree in psychology with a minor in sociology & computer science with a minor in web design (2 degrees at once). Born n raised in America, but favor an English style of writing. 

2. What inspired you to write? 

 I've always used writing to express myself. In High School I wrote poetry instead of a journal. It was actually Anne Rice who got me into all things supernatural, so I would say she is my biggest inspiration. At the age of 8 my mamma took me to see 'Interview with the Vampire' while on holiday, once we left the theatre, I begged to go straight to the book store n bought the book. I've been obsessed ever since. My 9th grade English teacher is my second greatest inspiration. She pushed me to turn my poems into short stories, after reading one. My last inspiration would just be writers in general. I love how anyone can come up with something so amazing n turn it into a great piece of work. 

3.Do you have a specific writing style? 

 I have a specific genre of writing as opposed to a stye, supernatural/paranormal types of writing are my favored pieces, but I do like to try n branch out every once n a while. 

4. How did you come up with the titles of your stories? 

 With Blood Wolf I wanted the title to represent the wolf. In Dallas's case, she is the Red Luna. I always wanted it to represent her as a person, dealing with what she did n how she views killing n such, Blood Wolf just seemed to fit. 

5. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? 

The main things I want readers to grasp are:

1) No matter what happens to you in life, you can always overcome it n come out a better person.

2) Sometimes we all need a little help, no matter how difficult, letting someone in can help you overcome the things you can't face on your own.

6. How much of your book is realistic? 

 Hmmm....I would say maybe 40-50% of my book is realistic. However, that would all be due to the feelings the book deals with. Strip away the supernatural parts of the book n you are left with a young lady, who was raped n beaten. I always put in the character of Tristian because I wanted to show that mother side of most women. Being a mother myself, I can connect with her on a personal level when it comes to loving a child. For myself, in all my personal relationships, my son will always come before my partner. I personally just feel that is the way it should be (for me). 

7. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

 A number of experiences in the book are personal, both for myself n from events that friends went through. I won't ever admit or deny which happened to whom, but the fact that things like this do happen is why I wrote about it. I wanted to write a piece that people could relate to, in one way or another, n if this has happened to someone else, I only hope they found something meaningful in my book that helped them in some way. 

8.Imagine your characters from any one of your books is on survivor.  Who will they vote out of the book?

 I would definitely say John would have been the first to go. Just from his behavior at the beginning of the book, second would be his sister Jasmine, n in a way, I do 'vote' her off. 

9. What job did you want to be as a kid? 

 I was one of those kids who wanted to do everything. I never really had just one set career I wanted to follow, I wanted to do it all. I'm still like that today. 

10. What is your main goal with writing?

My main goal with my writing would be to send a positive message with each of my works. Mainly to young girls who read books with very passive n submissive female leads. I want young girls to know that IT IS OK to be strong, to stand up for themselves, n to take control of their lives. 

11.Do you ever experience writer’s block?

I actually just experienced a bit of writers block with my 3 open works. I think all writers go through a bit of it during all their projects. It just depends on the severity of it when it does happen.

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write?

 I do both. I have a general outline of my books before I start writing, I make a list of all things I want to happen throughout the book, n from there just write n do my best to incorporate while writing. 

13. If you could be the original author for any book, which would it be and why? 

Easy, Interview with the Vampire, because that is where my love for books came from. That one story opened up a whole new world for me, from the characters to the story line, I loved everything about it.

14.  What do you do when you are not writing? 

My life really is quite boring to most, I work, go to uni, n take care of my son. I try to make time for writing, but those always come before, since I do have responsibilities. 

15.  Do you see writing as a career or a hobby?

I would love to make writing a career, n plan on self-publishing/print here in the near future, but for right now, it is just a hobby. 

16. Who does your covers? If you do them, what program(s) do you use? 

 I do all my own covers, I feel like as the author, I know what I am looking for the cover to say. I normally use fotoflex.com to edit most of my covers, but also use word to edit backdrops of my photos too. 

17. What is the weirdest thing that has ever been said or done to you by a fan? 

'I think I've just learned how to give proper head.' It may be completely inappropriate, but I will always remember that one comment! It made me laugh. 

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 

 I think the biggest thing I've learned from writing is a better form of expression. Finding new, creative ways to describe something that most wouldn't think about. 

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

Just a massive thank you for reading, voting, n commenting on my works. I would have probably still been writing privately on my laptop n never letting others see if it hadn't been for those who show support. 

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Just have fun! Don't force anything. The best stories come from imagination, when you force it, the story lacks that spark. Also, don't try to write what you are not comfortable with. A little grammar never hurt either. I'm still in the process of editing all my works, but am more conscious of grammar during my writing. Lastly, ignore that negative comments! If you like to write, don't let a negative comment stop you from doing so.