Interview 43: BardConstantine

1. Can you tell me about yourself?

I was born in Chicago, raised in Southern California, and have bee living in Birmingham, Alabama for the past 17 years. So you can say that I’ve had a pretty rounded experience of US living. I currently work in the flour milling industry and write in my spare time.

2. What inspired you to write?

I’ve always had stories to tell, so it was inevitable that I would write them. When young I told stories through art: comic book stuff mostly. In time my love for writing took precedence over the drawing, so I concentrated on that.

3. Is writing a hobby or career to you?

Writing is a second job that I hope to one day turn into a career. I write for the love of writing, and will continue to write no matter how the financial situation turns out. But to write for a living would be a perfect occupation for me, and I’m working at realizing that goal.

4. Do you want your stories to be published one day?

Some of my work is already published. I have two novellas, one novel, and a few shorts that I’ve published independently. I’ll be submitting my latest work to agents and publishers, because I want to push for that next level and get my work into actual bookstores as well.

5. What do you do when you aren't writing?

I love reading, of course. Any good writer must read as much as they can. I’m a huge film buff, and love many different genres of film. Anything to do with storytelling is just natural for me to love, I suppose. I also enjoy travel and tinker a bit with photography.

6. If you could spend the day with one of your characters who would it be and what would you do?

I’d hang with Mick Trubble, the protagonist of my Troubleshooter books. He’s a laid back dude and easy to get along with. I guess we’d tip back a few drinks and try not get in too much trouble. We’d probably fail, though.

7. How much of the book is realistic?

Which book? Any book has to have a certain degree of realism so that the reader doesn’t walk away from the story. That’s why a writer has to flesh out his characters, explain certain abilities, engage the senses, and have a firm grip on the history of the setting and the characters. You can’t just throw mud on the wall and hope it sticks long enough to tell a story.

8. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

I think all writing is based somewhat on the author’s experiences, but I enjoy thinking outside the box. Outside one’s self, is what I mean. It’s interesting to write about things that you’d never say or do, and see how things turn out. But personal experience works well also. Like in The Aberration: the setting is pretty much where I go to work every day. Made it quite easy to describe everything.

9. What is your main goal with writing books?

To entertain. I read books for enjoyment, so I want my readers to enjoy my stories as well. I basically write the type of stories that I enjoy reading. If I can attract a readership and make some money doing that, then that’s great as well.

10. What job did you want to be as a kid?

Basic kid’s stuff: fireman, astronaut,etc. It wasn’t until my teens that I really concentrated on trying to be a comic book artist. Things didn’t work out with that, but the drive to tell stories never died. 

11.Do you ever experience writer’s block?

No. The only thing that blocks my writing is distractions and time constraints. When I write, it never rains but pours.

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write?

I started with outlines, but now I just write. Outlines are good for beginners because it gives you a blueprint on where you’re going with the story. Every one is different, but now I basically just let the story flow as it will. I’ll rewrite and edit it to death after it’s done, anyway.

13. Imagine your main character dies on page one.  Everything else remains the same.  Describe the new plot to your book.

Again, that depends on the book. But let’s say it’s The Aberration, and Guy dies on page one. New plot: everyone dies. Plain and simple. 

14. Where do the your ideas come from?

All sorts of places. Dreams, movies, video games, other books, personal experiences. But mostly they come from my overactive imagination. I bleed stories, eat and drink stories every waking day. They are always with me, and never leave me alone, actually.

15. What is the hardest thing about writing?

Making the time to sit down and nail out the words. I get distracted easily, I’m married and I have to work for a living. Doesn’t leave a lot of time for writing, so I have to take advantage of it when I can.  

16. Will you have a new story coming out soon? If so can you tell us about it?

I always have a new story coming out. I just don’t post everything to Wattpad. I’ll continue to post new stuff. Some will be excerpts, like The Aberration. Others will be shorter works like City of Glass, posted in full.

17. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

The hardest part is after its written. Most new writers don’t realize that finishing a story is only the first part. Once you learn the importance of editing, rewriting, editing, rewriting until the story is the best you can make it –that’s when you become a real writer.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Writing the Aberration surprised me, because I didn’t think I had the capacity for horror. Turns out that I’m quite good at creeping myself out, lol.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I thank each and every reader that took that time to read any of my stuff. I love the feedback, love hearing from you. It means the world to have an audience, and I love you guys/girls. 

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Yes: write. Quit procrastinating and tell your stories. Learn the craft of writing: showing not telling; writing realistic dialogue; making each character look and sound different from the others. Make the setting matter, engage the senses: tell how things smell, feel and sound along with how they look. But above all: write. Keep writing. Write makes right, so keep writing until you can call writing your craft.