Interview 54: Woowoowriting

1. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

Well, some general information about me is as follows:

I am a Gemini.

I'm a teenager.

I have trouble focusing on one story at once.

It's really hard to keep my attention.

I like things short and sweet. I hate long things, even though I tend to ramble.

I like making lists.

2. What inspired you to write?

The thing that inspired me most to write was just reading, honestly. I have an insane need to have control of things, and that rarely happens, so it's one of those things that I have full power over. Plus, I feel like it's an amazing way to communicate ideas in a subtle way. I'm a huge fan of subtlety.

3. Do you have a specific writing style?

 I don't really like saying I have a "style" because I feel like it's arrogant. Like "Oh, yeah, my style is so complex." But I guess if I were to choose one I'd say that my writing style is dry-humored and dark.

4. How did you come up with the titles?

I come up with my titles by sheer luck and brute force. I refuse to write it until I think of one, because I hate having "Untitled Document" in my Google Docs account. True story.

5. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Every one of my stories has a moral or message that I want my readers to grasp, I just try not to force it or shove it down their throats; I don't want to be preachy. I try to be subtle about it and let them take it as they will.

6. How much of the book is realistic?

A lot of all of my books, except for He, are realistic and based off things, however small, in my life. The more recent of a book you read, the more things from my life will be in there; I recently started honing that skill to try and perfect it. I think it helps the reader connect with the characters more if it reminds them of their life as well.

7. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Yep, a lot of the experiences in my books are based off both people and experiences in my own life. I feel like it really improves the writing and makes it realistic.

8. What books have most influenced your life most?

The Catcher in the Rye has impacted my life most, definitely. And, as cheesy and stupid as this sounds, Paper Towns by John Green did as well. It showed me that teen fiction could actually have realistic characters with real feelings, and inspired me to start writing teen fiction

9. What book are you reading now?

Right now I'm reading "John Dies At the End" by David Wong. It's fantastic, and influenced "This Wasn't Our Fault." "Ghosts/Aliens" by Trey Hamburger influenced that story a lot as well, and is also a phenomonal and hilarious read.

10. Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

I recently began reading David Wong and I really like his work, even though he's only written two books. I also really like John Green, who I started reading recently as well.

11. What are your current projects?

Currently I'm working on a bazillion things: "Her.," "This Wasn't Our Fault.," "Going On," "Private Practice," and other co-writes.

12. Do you see writing as a career?

 I'd like it to be a career, yes, but I'm not sure I'd succeed in it. You need a lot of luck, and I'm not particularly lucky. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably do something involving computer engineering, which is on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. But hey, I like to have variety in my life.

13. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I find writing description really difficult, because I'm a total humanist and really couldn't care less about where people are standing and what color their clothes are. I understand that it gives a mental picture, but I care more about how the characters interact and what they do with each other.

14. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

My favorite author is George Orwell, because I feel like he wrote about really serious topics in a way that was enjoyable and made them seem less drastic, while still respecting their seriousness. I really appreciate that and try to do the same.

15. Who designed the covers?

My covers were all designed by either my real-life friend who shall remain nameless,@_aviary, or@rigor_samsa.

16. What was the  easiest part of writing your book?

The easiest part of writing my books is dialogue, because a lot of it is based off real conversations I've had, so it comes naturally to me.

17. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

The hardest part about writing my book is writing description, because I don't enjoy doing it.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned that I'm more empathetic than I give myself credit for, because a lot of my books deal with loss and death.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I just want to tell all my readers that I absolutely adore you all, and even if you don't vote or comment, I still think you're awesome.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

The only advice I have for other writers is to just keep writing. You get better the more you do it, and eventually you'll get to where you want to.