Interview 93: AnnaBell_Writes

1. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

I’m a full-time writer, mother of a beautiful boy, owner of a lively labrador, wife to a lovely husband, and I am lucky enough to live in the mountains in France.

2. When did you first realize you wanted to be an author?

I didn’t. I was a museum curator who wrote a novel in my spare time and then ended up realising I could quit my day job and escape into my daydreams full-time (and get money from it).

3. How long does it take you to write a book?

It depends what book it is and what you mean by write a book. The quickest I’ve written a draft is two and a half weeks, but then that followed by me editing it, professionals editing it, me editing it some more, it being proofread. Last year, I wrote three books - so I’d say about 2-3 months.

4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Hopefully still earning enough writing so I can still live in the mountains and escape to my daydreams.

5. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I used to be very disciplined and wrote all day (and all night too). But now, with a baby in the house, I’m more disciplined and write in tiny little windows. I try and write my first drafts as quickly as possible to get the ideas down and then build on them in the editing stage.

6. If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?

I’d love to have written Pride and Prejudice. It’s like the mother of all chick lit books. It’s a lot of people’s favourite book - and what better accolade to have as an author.

7. What is the weirdest thing that has ever been said or done to you by a fan? (Internet stalkers count)

Hmm... I can’t think of anything. Here’s hoping it stays that way!

8. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I love walking with my family. I’m lucky to live in area with a picture postcard background, so I go for big long walks.

9. What does your family think of your writing?

Since I’ve been published, I’ve been overwhelmed by the support of my family. What I sense is that they’re really proud.

10. How do you think you've evolved creatively?

I think I’ve always been creative, I just know now how to harness an idea an how to tease it out the full length of a novel.

11. What is your favorite quote?

‘Swim the Pool, not the man’ anon

12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

One of the lovely things about social networking is that you get great interaction with your readers. They usually say positive things, but I got a lot of ‘Millie picked the wrong guy’ after Millie and the American Wedding.

13. What do you think makes a good story?

The element of surprise, yet the familiarity that goes along with predictability.

14. Imagine your main character dies on page one.  Everything else remains the same.  Describe the new plot to your book.

Everyone goes to a wedding, and they have a nice (but boring time).

15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

A journalist. Thank heavens I didn’t follow that through. I hate interviewing people.

16. Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?

Benjamin Franklin. Have you ever read his autobiography? He blurred the lines of fact and fiction, but was a pivotal part of American history and an all round genius.

17. What was the easiest part of writing?

I’m lucky that ideas for stories flow. The hardest part is finding the time.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

That you can surprise yourself with where a plot goes. I wrote Millie and the American Wedding, chapter by chapter, without editing and it was amazing that it actually worked.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you for being awesome and for reading my books!

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Persevere. It’s never a smooth ride to becoming published, but when you hold your book in your hands in a book store it’s all worth it.