Interview 24: north_

1. Can you tell me about yourself?

My name is Posy, I am turning nineteen in two months. I finished school, am taking a gap year and am currently writing on a new novel. 

2. What inspired you to write?

The birth of my little sister. I wanted to hold on to something, give her something from my heart, that came just from me. A story. A character that was based on her. 

3. Is writing a hobby or career to you?

Right now more a hobby, I guess. But I really want to pursue it as a career one day. 

4. Do you want your stories to be published one day?

I actually do have a story published, but I'm not going to tell the title, because it's embarrassing and I was 15. I've improved so much over the last (almost) four years. 

5. What do you do when you aren't writing?

Nothing. I'm writing all the time. But, if I am not writing (which is very rare) I usually read, eat or sleep. Or watch The Carrie Diaries. Or Castle. Yep, definitely Castle.

6. If you could spend the day with one of your characters who would it be and what would you do? 

This may sound a bit odd, but I would love to snog my character Damien (out of my short story Strangers) just for the hell of it. But I'm quite sure Alice would mind, so probably it's not a good idea. But yes, Damien. *giggles* #fangirling

7. How much of the book is realistic? 

Do you mean my book? Well, Strangers is set during Hurricane Sandy in New York, with the power out. Alice and Damien are trapped in a subway wagon, that lost its connection to the rest of the subway. Not quite sure how realistic is that, because, if I remember correctly, the power was only out in New Jersey and not in the Central Park area. It's as realistic as I could have made it to fit the story line, I think. 

8. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? 

I've never been trapped in subway or experienced a power out of this size. But I do know how Strangers can influence your life.

9. What is your main goal with writing books?

I want to tell a story, express a feeling, teach something. I want to leave something behind that will be remembered, something important, that influences you. Makes you change your views. Helps you, guides you through a tough time and will always be there to welcome you, when you need it. 

10. What job did you want to be as a kid? 

Jeez, I wanted to be a flight attendant (too short), a judge (too hard), a lawyer (can't lie good enough), a university professor (too dry). But in the end, through all these different career paths), I wanted to be a writer. That never changed.

11.Do you ever experience writer’s block?

Of course. Every author experiences at one point or another. 

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write?

I work with an outline. When the idea pops into my head, I sit down, define it, make it more realistic and when I'm done with that, then I write. 

13. Imagine your main character dies on page one.  Everything else remains the same.  Describe the new plot to your book.

Alice (from Strangers), would probably come back on an assginment given by god to change someone's life. At this person would be Damien. She still would be trapped in a subway wagon with him and everything would continue as usual from that point on

14. Where do the your ideas come from?

They are just there. They pop into my head, I write them down, define them and then I write. 

15. What is the hardest thing about writing?

Discipline. And not giving up, when a better idea pops into my head.

16. Will you have a new story coming out soon? If so can you tell us about it? 

I do. For now it's called "Butterflies and Hurricanes" and is a YA thriller about a girl whose mother is murdered. November (that's the main characters name, but she usually is called Nori) finds her mother clinging to three birth certificates, hers and two from a pair of twin girls. It turns out, her mother left her father and went with her into hiding, leaving her twin sister with her father. Her father? Well, he is the consligliere (adivsor) to a ruthless mob boss. 

17. What was the hardest part of writing your book? 

Reserach. Oh god, so much research. Getting the tone right. Not giving up. Developing a plot that makes sense.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 

It did. I learned discipline and I learned not give up, even when the plot seems unpromising and dumb. I learned that in the end, every word written, builds up something important, something you can leave behind. Words are never lost. They will always be there to welcome you home. I write, even now, even I don't have any kids yet, for my children. For any child. Writing it taught me to believe in myself and showed me that I want to leave something behind when I'm gone. Words. It will always be words. 

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

Thank you. Over the course of the five months I've been here, you taught me not only to believe in myself, no, you've encouraged me to be a better person, to listen to the advice I give in my stories. You've made me the happiest person alive. Thank you for that. And I love you. 

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

You can do it, you are worth it, your story is worth it. It's not shit, it's beautiful. You are beautiful. And never give up. Ever.