Interview 80: TheInseparableSix

1. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

My name’s Christopher Compton and I’m from a small town in Canada called Keswick. I graduated from Western University with a Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Literature two years ago and I’m currently finishing up my first trilogy, titled Eternal Dreams.

2. What inspired you to write?

I’ve been writing pretty much my whole life, mostly just to get strange thoughts out of my mind and onto the page where they could stop bothering me. But then I saw Christopher Nolan’s second film, Memento, and I knew I wanted to do more with my writing. I wanted to capture people’s imaginations the way that movie had captured mine. That was really the turning point for me.

3. Do you have a specific writing style?

Most of my writing comes to me in scenes out of a movie that hasn’t been made yet. In that way, I would say I have a very cinematic writing style. I want to paint a vivid picture in the reader’s mind so they can imagine it clearly.

4. How did you come up with your titles?

Eternal Dreams was actually just a placeholder name until I thought of a better one. The more I wrote, the more I realized it was the perfect title. I tried to think up a better one, but I never did, so it stuck around. 

5. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

For Eternal Dreams as a whole, if the reader comes away with a better appreciation for friendship, dreams, and/or life overall, I think I’ll have done my job to satisfaction.

6. How much of your writing is realistic?

Well considering Eternal Dreams is about six teenage friends going into a dream world created from their collective imaginations, not much of it is ‘realistic.’ But I try to keep their relationships and hardships as natural and relate-able as possible. Even in a dreamland, something has to stay grounded.

7. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

A lot of scenes in the trilogy are based off dreams I have. Some of them are just so crazy it would feel like a sin not to include them. Other than that, I take a lot of inspiration from my friends. Characters and situations that pop up in my writing often have something to do with a fond memory or someone close to my heart.

8. What books have most influenced your life most?

Harry Potter is the series I keep coming back to for lessons in world-building and unparalleled imagination. The way fantasy is melded with reality is really impressive to me. I’ve always wanted to create something that has that kind of lasting effect on someone.

9. Describe your writing style in ten words or less.

Cinematic, imaginative, dialogue-driven, visceral and emotional.

10. Where do you get your ideas?

As I said before, mostly in dreams and memories. I like to think of every-day life as a constant source of opportunities for inspiration. Any encounter can spawn a character, any landscape can produce a new setting, and any news story can be the motivator to a whole new plot. I’m always searching for more to learn and discover.

11. What are some things you like to do when you’re not writing?

I love hanging out with my friends and watching movies, usually at the same time. I also have a backlog of video games that will never get beaten in my lifetime. Pretty much anything that makes the boredom of reality a little bit more tolerable

12. What distinguishes good writing from bad writing?

It’s hard to say, really. I guess good writing makes you feel something or takes you somewhere you’ve never been before. I don’t necessarily think a writer has to have perfect prose or use fancy words to impress his or her audience. As long as the author can evoke the desired emotion or make the audience fall in love with the story despite its flaws, I think he or she has done an excellent job. Bad writing just washes over you.

13.What is the weirdest thing that has ever been said or done to you by a fan?

I haven’t had any really crazy fans, actually. That either means that my fans are normal or I’m just as weird as they are. Still, I look forward to my first death-threat or proposition of marriage by a total stranger.

14. Imagine your characters are on survivor.  Who will they vote out of the book?

Well considering The Inseparable Six are all friends and Malise (the dark queen) is a loner, I think it’s pretty obvious who would be the first one voted out.

15.  Do you see writing as a career or a hobby?

For me it’s a career. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to do and it’s all I’ll ever want to do. If I have to demote writing to a hobby in order to spend more time with a career just to make money, then my life will be a failure. No pressure. 

16. Will you have a new story coming out soon? If so can you tell us about it?

I still have the second and third part of Eternal Dreams to complete. For a couple years now I’ve been filling out the blueprint for another story, but it’s not quite ready yet. It’s called ‘War for the Suburbs.’

17. What was the hardest part of writing?

I always find ending things difficult. When I get to the end, I either can’t bring myself to finish in fear that I may not ever start again, or I just become too obsessed with putting on the finishing touches instead of saying ‘it’s done.’ It takes me far too long to let go.

18.Did you learn anything from writing? If so,  what was it?

It always surprises me how dark my writing can turn out when I’m such a happy-go-lucky person. I guess I’ve learned that my creative thoughts are a lot more twisted than my actual outlook on life. You can’t always judge authors by their writing!

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

Thanks for all the support you’ve given me. Without it I can’t imagine myself continuing with Eternal Dreams. From myself and The Inseparable Six: Thank you.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

I honestly believe the main difference between the people who make it in this world and the ones that don’t is giving up too soon. If you stay dedicated and passionate, eventually you will break through whatever barrier is holding you back. Never, ever give up.