Interview 71: hmmcghee

1. Can you tell me something about yourself?
My name is Heather McGhee.  I've been married for almost 17 years, and I have two lovely children.  I live in central Arkansas in the U.S., and I have a day job as a preschool teacher.

2. What inspired you to write? 
I've been writing since I was very little.  Reading had always been my escape, and then I tended to project worlds I created in my head through writing.  With the boom of online writing, I became obsessed and realized that I had A LOT of worlds inside me.

3. One of main character commits a crime.  Describe how and why.
If one of my characters create a crime?  Um...since I like to keep my characters morally obligated and responsible, the worst crime one of my main characters would ever commit would be speeding...or breaking and entering to get back a favorite coffee mug from an ex.

4. If you could have any one of your characters become a real person, who would it be and what would you do?
One of my characters become real...wow, Lt. Alex Spears, all the way!

5. Is writing a hobby or career to you?
Writing is a hobby.  I'm too ADD to make it a career.

6. Do you want your stories to be published one day?
I want all my stories to be published one day.  I currently have one published, and I'd like to get more out there, but certain circumstances involving that keep standing in my way.

7. What do you do when you aren't writing?
When I'm not writing, I'm either sleeping, working, reading, helping kiddos with homework, going to yoga, playing video games and trying my damnest to avoid housework.  For some reason, the housework is persistent about getting done.

8. What is your main goal with writing books?
My main goal with writing books is to create some space in my head.  If it's on paper (or online), I can spring-clean my brain a little.

9. What books have most influenced your life most?
I read a lot of Harlequin romances when I was younger, but I love anything Jane Austen, though Persuasion is my favorite, and Jennifer Crusie is great for a Sunday afternoon.

10. What job did you want to be as a kid?
I always wanted to be a teacher...though as a kid I would have never chosen preschool.  I wanted to teach high school English and Literature classes, but that changed when I got into college.  Dealing with teenagers all day?  No thank you.  I'd much rather build cars out of Legos and make papermache planets.

11.Do you ever experience writer’s block?
I experience writer's block all the time.  I have about a dozen stories that I've started, but haven't found the inspiration to move further into the story.

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write?
I just write.  Usually, I'll create scenes late at night while I'm supposed to be sleeping, and then write them into the stories as they fit.  Outlines are way too tedious for me.

13. Do you see writing as a career?
Maybe one day as a career, but for now, I'll just stick to those few hours of the day I have free.

14. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
 I love Jane Austen, just because of her language.  I can't tell you how many times I've read Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice, but everytime I do, it's like a whole new story because I get something new out of them every time.  And I adore Jennifer Crusie.  She has a way with witty characters and crazy scenes that make me coming back for more.

15. Who designed the covers?
Most of the time, I design my own cover, unless someone shares one with me that I like more.  And on occasion, I'll have a mini contest for covers of my stories.

16. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The most difficult part of writing is the editing.  I tend to write on and on, and then I have to go back and make all my corrections.  It's time consuming.

17. What was the easiest part of writing your book?
The easiest part is finishing.  I love to write epilogues that tie up the whole story, and it comes easy to me when I finally get that last scene in.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 
I learned from writing all my stories not to put too much of myself into my characters, because, let's face it -- on paper, I'm not that interesting.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
To my readers:  Just keep reading...that's what makes this possible for me.  If I only had one reader, I'd still write.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?
Advice for other writers...yeah...  Um, I'm kind of a stickler for grammar and structure, so that's what I would suggest.  work on that.