Interview 103: AshTensei

1. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
I enjoy a good rated “R” drink sometime and being with friends, but I am mostly alone in my own world writing or plotting. 

2. What inspired you to write?
Dark romanticism inspired me a lot when I was still in school. I read many things from Poe and the idea of a “never-ever-after” excited me; too many happy endings aha! Then when Twilight came out, it sealed the deal. I share a lot of my personal inspirations for writing at the end of my novel here on Wattpad, Mana.

 3. Do you have a specific writing style?
I don’t think so. I do, however, like to spin metaphors to create very tremendous scenes 

4. How did you come up with your titles?
I came up with the title Mana because that’s what the book is about. You take out all the characters and all the challenges and you’re left with just mana. Golden Darkness came from a cameo in book one. Actually, each of my titles can be guessed by reading the previous books before. 

5. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
There is a big one, but I don’t think it’s fair if I tell! But there is a good underlying theme of defying destiny.

6. How much of the book is realistic?
A pretty good chunk of it. I introduce a world called Samsera and give people control over mana(magic, but beside that, the story takes place in the real world with real events and feelings. 

7. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Well sure, but what writer doesn’t throw their personal life into their work somehow?

8. What books have most influenced your life most?
The Cask of Amantillado, The Devil’s Code, and a few books from the Shakespearean Era. (Old fashioned dude here.)

9. Describe your writing style in ten words or less.
End before beginning and the middle sticks 

10. Where do you get your ideas?
I really urge you to read the small updates at the end of Mana on Wattpad! I really get them from all over. From a great TV show all the way to a Windex bottle!!

11. What are some things you like to do when you’re not writing?
Play fighting games like Tekken or draw…or do martial arts or watch shows like Leverage and Criminal Minds and Heroes! I love my spare time ^.^

12. What distinguishes good writing from bad writing?
Nothing and a lot at the same time. I realize this is a confusing answer heh..

13. If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be?
Nevermore.

14. Imagine your characters are on survivor.  Who will they vote out of the book?
Can I say Jason? Because I’m almost positive it would be him.

15. Do you see writing as a career or a hobby?
I see it as a hobby I would like to turn into a career, then back into a hobby! Maybe do some modeling or acting afterward!

16. Will you have a new story coming out soon? If so can you tell us about it?
Golden Darkness is the newest story I’ve been working on and it’s the sequel to Mana. It’s almost done, so I need to be thinking about book 3 pretty soon.

17. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The book is relatively easy, the motivation to write is a whole different story.

18. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
There is no such thing as instant gratification when it comes to art. Be patient and the right thing will happen eventually. I’ve been writing The Mana Saga for about 4 years and I am just now getting it some attention. Remember patience is a virtue 

19. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Yep! Thank you all for helping me reach heights I never thought I could. You forever have my gratitude!

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?
Write your heart out and always research. People will tell you that you suck and say some other pretty mean things to you, but pay it no mind and just write. Ideas can always be improved on, so don’t worry about what others are doing and focus on your own writing journey!