Interview 82: SandraCorton

1. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

I grew up in the country which is why I think my imagination is a little overreactive. I drive trains in Sydney Australia. I’m married to a great guy and we have one cat and three snakes.

2. What inspired you to write?

I have always written stories. It was my way to cope with things. It’s easier to be lost in someone elses problems than your own.

3. Do you have a specific writing style?

Everyone seems to say that I write differently to others but I have no idea. I just write the very words that come into my mind. I write my stories the way I would want to read them.

4. How did you come up with your titles?

Some titles are harder than others. Sometimes I just scribble ideas down for titles and methodically cross them off until I find one that clicks. But sometimes inspiration just hits me and I have the title without too much worry.

5. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Not really I just write for enjoyment. I write for the things that we don’t have in our own world and for escape from the real world. If there is a message in there than I hope people find it.

6. How much of the book is realistic?

Not a heck of a lot, but it depends which story of mine you are reading. Most of them are characters that just appeared in my head one day. Small things in there like the use of nicknames comes from my real life. My husband never calls me by my own name.

7. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

No the events in my stories are simply from my own imagination.

8. What books have most influenced your life most?

Its more authors that have influenced me, my favourite being Jasper Fforde. He is brilliant and fascinating. His stories are so different and intriguing that you can’t help but be drawn into his books.

As a child it was of course The lion, the witch and the wardrobe. To me this story had everything a good story should have.

9. Describe your writing style in ten words or less.

I write what I would like to read.

10. Where do you get your ideas?

Ideas come to me at the most random moments. For example, The Chase Begins idea started with a song. I was driving my train and listening to a song which set of an idea in my head. I find it ironic that the story ended up completely different from the song. The idea for Mystery Man Revealed came to me when I was hanging washing on the line. Inspiration is everywhere if you are open to finding it.

11. What are some things you like to do when you’re not writing?

I make cards and scrapbook, I really enjoy doing craft of all types. I also love my Wii and all its games.

12. What distinguishes good writing from bad writing?

I can read a story with bad spelling and grammar if the storyline is interesting. To me bad writing is not caring about your character and their development. My characters are almost like a family member to me. Good writing is being able to get what you want to say out there without too much babbling on.

13.What is the weirdest thing that has ever been said or done to you by a fan?

Not much really. I get a lot of people asking me to read their stories and I only wish I had the time.

13. Imagine your characters are on survivor.  Who will they vote out of the book?

Oh boy it depends which story!! In The Chase Begins it would probably be Will and Lindsay together. In Mystery Man Revealed it would definitely be Ethan. In I met him on the balcony it would be Crystal for being such an evil mother.

15. Do you see writing as a career or a hobby?

Writing is a hobby that I would like to have a career in. I have a perfectly good career but it would be nice to be paid for writing and not have to do 2ams ever again.

16. Will you have a new story coming out soon? If so can you tell us about it?

I have 11 stories on Wattpad with only 3 of them unfinished. I am working on Mystery Man Revealed at the moment. Then I will return to Reflections End and finish that. I am also hoping to finally finish My spin the bottle debacle this year too. After that there is already a story brewing for what I want to write next but its still a secret ;)

17. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Ending it. It’s always so hard to end a story and to let go of the characters. You become very attached to them.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I have learnt that my writing gets better the more I continue to put my ideas down and write.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thanks for being such a great support network for me. Without my readers I have nothing so my success on here is all from them.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Yes and it is simply to write. Write for pleasure and for fun, write because it is something you yearn inside to do. Write not for the votes you get but do it for yourself.