Interview 110: jr0127

1. Can you tell me something about yourself?

I'm a major video game nerd, not even kidding.

2. What inspired you to write?

I'd been through a whirlwind two year crazy pseudo-relationship with a guy and I wanted to write the kind of male protagonist who sort of epitomized what I would have liked to have seen/experienced in real life. 

3. One of your main character commits a crime.  Describe how and why.

Caleb kidnaps Hailey (the female protagonist) early on in The Runaways. He's been hired to do so by her father, and ends up drugging her and carrying her out of a major train station in D.C. Things get pretty crazy after that!

 4. If you could have any one of your characters become a real person, who would it be and what would you do?

Caleb Evans hands down. I'd probably date him ;P.

5. Is writing a hobby or career to you?

It started out as a hobby but it's gradually turning into a career. I've been approached by agents about it but am sticking to the self-publishing route for now. I may experiment with the traditional method at a later point.

6. Do you want your stories to be published one day?

Absolutely. I love what Amazon is doing with CreateSpace and am currently working towards editing & publishing The Runaways after it goes through a series of professional edits etc. I have a book or two on the back burner I may submit to publishers down the road.

7. What do you do when you aren't writing?

Studying, watching movies, playing video games, listening to absurd amounts of music, working, etc.

8. What is your main goal with writing books?

To write stories that make people feel something. To write characters that come to life on the page who readers care about and connect to. Writing for me is about emotional truth, and if I can accomplish that in a novel that's more than enough.

9. What books have most influenced your life most?

Jack Kerouac's "On The Road", anything Kurt Vonnegut, J.D. Salinger and John Green. I love male writers who write awesome male protagonists (especially in YA) they've taught me a lot about how to create an authentic male voice.

10. What job did you want to be as a kid?

A ninja. Seriously, I was a ninja turtle for about 5 Halloweens straight. Unfortunately, ninja isn't a huge field in the current job market.

11.Do you ever experience writer’s block?

Definitely. Can't stand it. Music helps a lot. If I can figure out what a chapter "sounds like" it makes writing much easier.

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write?

I didn't outline The Runaways (I usually don't outline). However, now that I've finished the novel I've outlined the sequel WANTED so that I have a clear idea of the direction I'm moving in. It's massively helpful in keeping your plot and character development consistent.  

13. Do you see writing as a career?

Yes. 

14. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

John Green at the moment (I have a lot of favorites). He's got an incredible way with words & hits right at the heart of what it's like to be in your teens, struggling with figuring out life, love, and all the craziness that comes with being that age. 

15. Who designed the covers?

I designed the covers for The Runaways, WANTED, & Vigilante Green. The very talented @WeAreAHurricane designed my cover for Cheater.Faker.Troublemaker.

16. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Handling the weight of some of the drama/circumstances my characters go through. I like to really connect to my characters so there are points when things are so intense, I have to take time away from writing (The Runaways & WANTED) in order to come back refreshed and better able to handle the more difficult chapters.

17. What was the easiest part of writing your book?

Finishing it. The end of The Runaways came in this huge creative burst so I finished the novel within about a week and a half after having worked on it for 2.5 years. 

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned a lot about editing (and am still learning). I came away from it much more able to look at my writing from a distance and have gained more tools (as I've researched editing techniques) to help improve the draft as I continuously revise.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you for every comment, vote, and encouraging message. They're why I was able to write a novel from start to finish, they kept me going, they keep me going, and I'm incredibly grateful for their time & enthusiasm. So thank you guys!

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Stay passionate. Writing can get frustrating at times, it's a constant process of revision, criticism, etc. but as long as you have at least one element in your story, poem, novel, etc. that you love or one element about the process that you love you'll produce great works.