Interview 60: sockmonkey

1. What inspired you to write?
 I went through this awkward, “I’m better than everyone else” phrase and my older sister was always praised for being an awesome poet so I was like “Well I can do it better”.  And thus, a writer was born.

2. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
 I’m a senior in high school who absolutely hates English class.  I’m obviously bad at talking about myself, especially since I’ve stared at this question for about ten minutes now.  Ummm… I like dogs?

3. What’s the earliest memory you have of writing a story?
 It was in fourth grade for the school paper.  I wrote a story about Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, and it won the little contest thing. 

4. What is your least favorite part of the writing process?
 I hate when I get to about the 12th chapter in the book, I always get confused on how I should continue.

5. How do you work with an editor without the pride thing getting in the way?
 I don’t actually work with an editor anymore since my old one quit Wattpad, but I didn’t have the pride feeling.  To me, the editor was just as big as a part in the story as I was.

6. Describe your writing style in ten words or less.
 Spontaneous with a little bit of awkwardness

7. When you hear from your readers, what do they say?
They always tell me to update or how much they love my story, or sometimes how they relate to something. 

8. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
 I wanted to be a doctor that took care of old people.  No clue why, but I thought it would be the bomb.  Now?  I think I had too many lollipops. 

9. What books have most influenced your life most?
 This Princess and the Frog remix series really inspired me in the whole fantasy bit.  The Percy Jackson series made me realized that history can mix with a modern story.  And, believe it or not, Jane Eyre.

10. What job did you want to be as a kid?
Answer: Maybe I answered the above question wrong?

11.Do you ever experience writer’s block
 Yes!  All the time.  It’s the worst thing ever.  Even worse when you have to burp and you’re next to a really cute guy.

11. Do you work with an outline, or just write?
 I just write.  I have the general idea in my head, but I think the best things come when you let your imagination flow freely.

12. Do you see writing as a career?
I see myself having this as a little side career.  I can’t see myself doing this as a full time gig, but I love writing and would never be able to give it up. 

13. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
 I have so many favorite authors.  They all have something in common, though.  They’re able to unravel a story that keeps people of all ages interested. 

14. Who designed the covers? 
I did! 

15. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
 The ending.  For a while, I just didn’t want to finish the book, but I had to, to be a part of the Watty Awards.  Sadly, that meant I made the crappiest ending possible.

16. What was the easiest part of writing your book? 
The beginning.  I love to write the beginnings for books.  It’s like the beginning of a whole new world.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 
I learned that fans will stick with a book through thick and thin.  Also, I learned to take a step back and look at your book from a new point of view.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Don’t kill me for not updating!  You guys always came first in previous years, but as a senior, I have to focus on my AP classes and those darn scholarships.  You guys are still some of the most important people in my life, and I love it when you talk to me!  Don’t be afraid to chat me up!

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?
Be who you are.  Don’t write a book just to get reads/votes.  You’ll end up hating yourself and the book when people want you to upload but all you want to do is throw the book out the window.  Also, write ahead as much as you can.  You never know when you’ll get swamped and need to upload.  Hmm…. I think that’s it!