Interview 36: florallion

1. Can you tell me a bit about yourself? 

I'm a 20-year-old Australian. I study advertising and creative writing at university, and I work in publishing.

2. What inspired you to write? 

I've always loved stories and loved to tell them. I've been writing since I was a little kid. I can't remember a time that I haven't wanted to be a writer.

3.Do you have a specific writing style? 

I love first person, present tense, because it is so direct and intimate.

4. How did you come up with the titles of your stories? 

"Reprise" is a book about music, so I was looking up lyrics to some of my favourite songs when I realised I could use terminology from music itself. A reprise is a repeated passage in music, and one of my themes in the novel is that the past is repeating itself.

5. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? 

I really love the idea of empowered female characters. My main character is an awful person, but she's very real. I've read too many stories about quiet, shy, clumsy and quirky girls. I wanted a story about a strong, loud girl who wasn't afraid of voicing her opinion. I want readers to know that every type of girl is okay, and you don't have to fit a mould.

6. How much of the book is realistic? 

"Reprise" is not a fantasy book, but it's not based on a true story.

7. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? 

Everything in "Reprise" is fictional.

8. What is your main goal with writing books? 

I want to write books that people want to read again and again. I have my favourite books that I read over and over, and I want to create that for people.

9. What job did you want to be as a kid? 

I've always wanted to be a writer, ever since I can remember.

11.Do you ever experience writer's block? 

All the time. The only thing you can do is write through it. Just keep forcing words out. You'll hate the words that you write, but eventually you'll get through it.

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write? 

I map out where I want the story to go, because otherwise I'll get lost. I often work backwards from how I want it to end and figure out how the middle will work.

13. Imagine your main character dies on page one. Everything else remains the same. Describe the new plot to your book. 

If Veronica Bennett died, her best friend wouldn't have to worry about her being jealous of his girlfriend, and he would be free to date whom he likes. Her father would still be in trouble with the law, and her enemy, Lucas, might even solve the mystery of the missing band member by himself.

14. What do you do when you are not writing? 

Work, uni work, and hanging out with friends.

15. Do you see writing as a career or a hobby? 

At the moment it's just a hobby, but I want to make a career out of it.

16. Will you have a new story coming out soon? If so can you tell us about it? 

"Reprise" will eventually have a sequel, but I have to focus on finishing it first!

17. What was the hardest part of writing your book? 

I haven't reached the hardest part yet. I have a feeling the end is going to be the hardest to write

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 

"Reprise" is the first novel I've ever put on Wattpad. I've realised that having people constantly commenting on my work and waiting for the next chapter is so motivating and really encourages me to write more.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

Thank you so much for reading my novel, and I really hope you continue to enjoy it.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers? 

Take as much criticism as you possibly can. Seek it out. You'll never learn anything from someone telling you that they like your work. You will learn so much from someone who doesn't like it. Remember that you will never be a perfect writer. You will always be learning. If you think your writing is the best it could ever be, it's probably awful.