Interview 83: GiaMonroe

1. Can you tell me a bit about yourself?

Gia is a nickname I was given. Everyone seems to think I’m older than I actually am. This is annoying because I like being my age. It’s not something I disclose though; I think it’s one of the questions I hate the most. I started writing back when I was ten and YEARS later I found wattpad and I think that’s what made me take this whole writing thing seriously. I used to write STRICTLY Trey Songz fan fiction which explains my first book. Your Side Of The Bed.

2.  What inspired you to write?

Everything from Tyler Perry movies like The Lucky One (the movie I always watch when I’m having a bad day.) Music also inspired me, as well as people. I like to think of what kind of back story they have, and what their stereotype would be. It intrigues me.

3. Do you have a specific writing style?

Most would say Urban. Which it is in a way. So yeah, Urban. Mainly stories about people in a bad time in their life finding love. Or not being able to love one another which will explain my new series: The Bad Decisions Series. I like to write about people who are out going or downright bad because I’m the complete opposite.

4. How do you come up for the titles of your stories?

It used to be song titles or a description of the book. It’s hard to say, it just kinda arrives in my head.

5. Is there a message in your novels that you want your readers to grasp?!

I just want them to know that even though you make bad decisions. Everything will get brighter, but only if you want them to these things don’t just happen on their own.

6. Imagine your character from any book is on survivor.  Who will they vote out of the book?

I think they would vote for either Tristan (Billionaire Boys Club) which will be out hopefully sometime this month or Robyn (The Reporter) Who are in my eyes, my most beloved characters. But then again it could be Trey or T7. Are experiences based on someone you know or events in your own life?

I try to keep pretty much everything based on my life to a bare minimum. I don’t really like writing about personal experiences. So no not really, it’s just situations that may have happened to people I know. But hardly any of them, maybe like one scene. (Obsession: Baby Shower scene.)

8.  How much of your book is realistic?

I think about 99.8%, but ya’ know you want to spice it up a bit.

9. What job did you want to be as a kid?

I’ve always wanted to have something to do with fashion. Writing has always been like a hobby to me.

10. What is your main goal with writing?

I want to entertain people. I want to create a new world that people can escape to when time gets hard. That’s my real goal.

11. Do you ever experience writer’s block? How do you usually deal with it?

I wait until I get inspired. I mean. I guess its God’s way of telling you to take a break.

12. Do you work with an outline or just write?

I just write most of the time. But whenever I get a good idea, I plan it.

13. What got you into werewolves?

I’m not really into werewolves. I was team Jacob in Twilight though.asha (YSOTB). I don’t know you’d have to ask my dolls.

14. What do you do when you are not writing?

I draw a lot and do homework. That’s pretty much it. I also like popcorn and hood movies. There anit nothing like a hood movie, and Tyrese’s face. I also watch YouTube videos, hair and beauty I like Ivy Powel at the moment.

15.  Do you see writing as a career or a hobby?

Mainly a hobby, not really a career but it could be.

16.  Is there any book are you ashamed to have read? Why are you ashamed you read it?

No I don’t think there is. What I read is up to me, so it other people don’t like it that’s on them. I’m not one to care about what people think.

17. What is the weirdest thing that has ever been said or done to you by a fan?

Whenever I was online she’d like message me about her personal life, but I didn’t know her at all. Obviously I’m not going to disclose any of that, but it made me feel really uncomfortable that she’d tell me all of this when we hadn’t ever spoken to one another ever. I just wondered why she trusted me so much.

18. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

It was that fan fiction wasn’t what I really wanted to write and that I prefer building my own characters and watching them shine.

19. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

This is going to sound ridiculously cheesy but I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You all mean so much to me especially now that you guys know I’m busy in school and all of you accept that. When I declared this as my final year of writing you was very supportive. Which I’m really happy about so thank you all very much from the bottom of my heart I doubt that I’d have even started The Reporter or any of the rest of my stories so thank you again so much.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

My advice is master your craft, it doesn’t have to be perfect just good. Also don’t spam people’s pages/stories/ect. Asking them to read your book and fan them. I think it’s disrespectful and you shouldn’t have to I mean I waited and some of my friend’s who’s overtaken me reads wise have to. Rely on your craft and be patient and you’ll be prouder of yourself knowing you didn’t beg anyone to fan you/read your stuff.

P.S: ask other authors how they get inspiration if you’re lacking any.  Make friends, collab. GET GOOD COVERS and take this seriously! Don’t just be writing something then giving up on it straight away. Don’t push yourself into writing and if there’s a delay then that’s God’s way of telling you you’re not finished.

MOST IMPORTANTLY,

BE PAITENT! Love Gia. x