Interview 72: cerebral_1

1. Can you tell me about yourself?

I've been married nearly 30 years to the man responsible for some of my male characters' zany humor, and our two college age sons, plus my 91-year-old dad, all live with us. I enjoy reading, baking, traveling, and of course, writing!

2. What inspired you to write?

 I've always liked reading and writing. I got tired of reading books with flawless, gorgeous, alpha males that meet equally gorgeous, flawless females that do exactly what the man says. I decided to start writing about characters that had flaws and strengths, just like real-life people.

3. How did you find wattpad?

One of my readers on another writing site told me my stories would be more protected here on Wattpad, so I switched over.

4.  Where do the your ideas come from?

 Lots of ideas come from real life. I like to watch people; study their reactions in everyday life. I also get ideas from pictures, paintings, songs, conversations; just about anywhere!

5. Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?

I start with an idea, and then I might write it down, along with any ideas that pop into my head. I don't use a formal outline (I always hated when teachers made you write those!), but I rely a lot on the characters. They actually take on a life of their own, and sometimes an idea will just materialize while I'm writing a scene.

6. How do you think you've evolved creatively?

I've become a stronger writer over the last few years. I like to take the time to set a scene, describe it vividly, and draw out the action like a movie. When I first started I barely described; I've always enjoyed writing dialogue more than narrative, so I feel I've finally gotten a handle on keeping a balance between the two.

7.What is the hardest thing about writing?

Honestly? Finding the time! Real life doesn't lend itself to uninterrupted writing.

8. Would you call yourself a wattpad celebrity? Why so or why not?

No, I really wouldn't. Compared to many other writers here on Wattpad, I don't really have the numbers to claim celebrity status.

9. Are you working on any new story you can tell me about?

Yes. I'm currently writing "Mail Order Bride Mishap," another historical in the Pacific Northwest involving a strong female protagonist, and an equally stubborn hero. They haven't met yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing the fur fly when they do!

10. What is your favorite quote?

My favorite quote is from my best friend, who happens to be a middle school teacher: "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." This works well in schools, and in the real world.

11. How was the publishing process?

 It is very slow. I just found out that Prisoner of Love is not slated for release until February 2015, though the entire book must be completely edited and turned in by Oct. of this year. I love the people I work with, though.

12. Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?

 Hopefully giving Nora Roberts a run for her money on the Romance best sellers' list!

13. What is your favorite movie and why?

My favorite movie is "Leap Year." because it has all the elements of a great romance: humor, chemistry, and beautiful scenery, along with not-cookie-cutter main characters

14. What advice would you give to your younger self?

Don't waste so much time! Write, and get what you write out where it can be read! Don't be afraid of criticism.

15. Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?

Jesus, because I'd like to ask him what heaven is really like.

16. If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?

Well, the obvious choice for me would be "Gone with the Wind," because it is so well-liked and well-read, and one of a kind. Or maybe the Harry Potter series; what a wild ride to success J.K. Rowling has had! And lastly, "Whiskey Beach," by Nora Roberts, because it's just one romantic suspense that clicked with characters, story, and mood. I wish I'd thought of it!

17. How was it like winning the watty's?

It was absolutely amazing! I mean, I hadn't even thought about entering when one of my fans wrote to me and made the suggestion. And then I won! It was so unplanned!

18. Have you learned anything from writing? If so, what was it? 

I have learned to push myself, to better my writing with every book. One book I might try description: another, humor; another, suspense. I guess I've learned to challenge myself.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

First of all, a big thank you to all of them for believing in me, for following me, and for all their fantastic encouragement. They are the ones that insisted I attempt getting published. They all deserve a free book when Prisoner of Love comes out, but then, I wouldn't make any money, lol! But they do deserve the credit for getting me to this point.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

 If you love to write, write often; every day, if possible. If it's clumsy at first, push yourself to improve. Read a lot of books similar to what you like to write, so you get a feel for the genre, and style. And lastly, don't waste time worrying about whether people will like what you write! Just do it, and the followers will come!

(Thanks for this great opportunity to interview! I really have enjoyed this!)