suna rintarou | i'll protect you (request)

requested by: @hyu-jii
thank you for the request :)

suna rintarou

enjoy :)

—————

"it's been really, really hard,but you've been so brave

but you've been so brave."

— butterflies rising

—————

you were childhood friends with suna rintarou. your parents were close with his, and after knowing him for years, you stuck near him at all times. when you were little, you would always play with him outside, playing hide-and-seek or tag. as you got older, you would help him with his volleyball training and his homework if he needed any help. sure, there were many times when suna got annoyed at you, but when the following day came, you guys would hang out like usual.

but unlike him, you were deaf.

you couldn't hear how he talked or how he laughed. you couldn't listen to songs he liked or the sound of him spiking the volleyball.

when the two of you entered high school, everything changed. he started finding new friends and became busier. you found yourself walking home alone and doing your homework alone. he had different friends to eat lunch with and more people who would greet him in the mornings.

but that didn't stop you from talking to him. even though you wouldn't walk to school with him, you still greeted him in the mornings.

"good morning, suna," you greeted as you walked past his desk. he glanced up at you and continued talking to his friends who encircled around his desk.

"suna, do you want to eat lunch. . ." your voice faded when you saw his friends take him away from you. ". . . together?"

your smile quickly faded when he walked out of the classroom. you held onto the ends of your sleeves and went back to your seat. you were glad suna found other friends he could rely on, but sometimes, you wished you could go back to those days where he and you only had each other.

the day went like usual. you were alone without suna. sure, there were people who would try to talk to you, but it was challenging for you to understand what they were trying to say without being able to hear them. suna was the only one who was always there for you, but now that he was busy, you didn't really have anyone to spend your time with.

you walked to the volleyball gymnasium to check up on him like how you used to for the past several years. a smile lifted up your face when you saw suna practicing. he seemed to be getting along with the other members, making you feel happy for him.

"suna!" you called out. suna looked at you and instantly walked over to you. he sighed when you gave him a warm, large grin. "we should walk home together after school today!"