“Care to join me under here? I can keep you warm.” I saw movement out of the corner of my eye as she did something with her hair, some flipping manoeuvre that was no doubt meant to be alluring.

I wasn’t allured.

“I’ll think I’ll pass.” Why did girls have to be so irritating sometimes? As far as I was concerned, she was just embarrassing herself as she continued to giggle and flick her hair this way and that.

If I was giving her any signals, or leading her on in any way, well…I’d immediately lose what little faith I had in the world. “Did you want something?” I asked abruptly, before she had time to come out with anymore inane, embarrassing comments.

I glanced up at the iron grey clouds that covered the sky. It wasn’t too late, but the weather made it a lot darker than it should be. I wanted to be home more than ever.

“I just wanted to catch up. We haven’t had a chance to talk in forever.”

I frowned; I could probably count on one hand the number of times I’d ever seen her, let alone talked to her. And I was pretty sure three out of four of those times I’d been drunk.

All I really knew about her was that she lived with Nikki and Alyssa. I grunted noncommittally.

“We should meet up soon.”

My jaw clenched. I’d thought she was friends with Shannon. That should mean that she hated me – obviously not. Girls confused me. “Again, I think I’ll pass.” I glanced over to see her reaction.

She was pouting, but not in the adorable way that made my heart trip. Three guesses who could incite that kind of reaction in me. It definitely wasn’t Carla, anyway.

“Why not? We’re both single.”

I closed my eyes, cracking my knuckles one by one inside my pockets. This day had turned out to be a complete joke. And to think I’d woken up so happy…euphoric even – despite the splitting headache and roiling stomach.

I looked ahead, through the torrent of rain drenching me; desperately seeking a glimpse of the familiar building that would signal the end of this tedious conversation. At least I was on campus; there couldn’t be far to go.

“Why do you think I’m single?” I hated to even say the word.

She snorted; “please, I’m not stupid. I know all about what happened between you and Shannon.”

Her words were faintly mocking and my mood darkened even more. I couldn’t help the sarcasm that trickled through into my voice – part of me wondered if she’d even pick up on it. Nothing infuriated me more than people who were too dumb to recognise sarcasm; even when it was blatantly obvious. “Well, if you know so much about what happened, then you’ll also know that I’m not single by choice.”

And it was one hundred per cent true, I wasn’t single by choice – except, perhaps through self-sabotage. Yeah, that sounded familiar.

I thought back to the night before. The alcohol hadn’t affected me the way it usually did (maybe I shouldn’t have mixed). I had pretty much known exactly what was going on at all times, I just hadn’t been able to see or stand straight…or keep my big mouth shut.

Shannon had looked so beautiful, hot, gorgeous. Even now, just the thought of the tantalising slit in her dress, made me surreptitiously rearrange my jeans.

The words ‘I love you’ had been on the tip of my tongue all night, but I’d tried to swallow them; knowing that Shannon wasn’t exactly, receptive to my professions of love. I don’t think she even believed I was being sincere.

But once I was…inebriated, well; there was no stopping me. My heart had almost stopped entirely when I heard her whisper those four words into the darkness of my room. Four small words that meant so much; ‘I love you too’.

I’d consequentially had the best night’s sleep I’d had in weeks, and I hadn’t even cared that I woke up hanging.

I heard Carla’s voice from beside me, but I ignored her; thinking of how Shannon had dashed the sudden hope that had welled up when she spoke those words. She’d said it herself at the café; I’d been drunk and basically, she’d just wanted to shut me up.

I knew she wasn’t lying either (I could always tell) – she didn’t even remember what she’d said. Surely if she’d meant it, she wouldn’t have forgotten? It wasn’t the kind of thing that slipped your mind.

I was mid-sigh when Carla’s words finally computed in my brain. “I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t want to be single. Relationships are overrated.”

I bit back a sarcastic retort. “Maybe someday you’ll understand.”

She sidled closer to me and I subconsciously tried to angle my body away from her. “Who cares about someday? Right now, we’re both single.” She lowered her voice the closer she got.

“No” I said firmly. This girl just wouldn’t give up.

She trailed a finger down my arm, laughing when I jerked away. “Can we not just have a little fun?”

“I think it’s time you went home” I said stonily, gritting my teeth. “We’re done here.”

Of course she didn’t listen. Instead, she pestered me all the way to the apartment building, right up until we reached my door. I stared at the faded number 13 on the door, as if it could give me strength; Carla’s voice still ringing in my ears. I’d long since given up listening to her, let alone trying to reason with her.

Right then, I hated her. And the thought that she would openly proposition me when she was at least semi-friendly with Shannon, made me hate her all the more.

I sighed and pulled my key from my pocket. “Look, why don’t you just leave me the hell alone?” I asked with thinly veiled annoyance as I opened the door. “Don’t you have other unsuspecting victims to harass?”

I looked back over my shoulder but she didn’t seem to have heard my insult. In fact, she wasn’t paying me any attention whatsoever. Instead, she stared past me, into the apartment; curiosity written all over her orange face.

I frowned and followed her gaze. My heart sped up painfully as my gaze took in the living room in one quick sweep.

Something like fear coursed through me as I stepped through the doorway. What the fuck? 

“Sweetheart?” I asked tentatively; bewildered.

I forgot all about Carla still standing behind me. Shannon didn’t answer me.

***************************************************************

Sorry to leave everyone hanging…I’ve already started the next chapter and I’ll try and get it up as soon as I can.

What did everyone think of Nick’s P.O.V? Feel free to tell me it sucked. It’s hard to write from a guy’s point of view and still make it believable.

Anyway, I start college on Monday, so I won’t be able to upload very often. I’m going to have a lot of work this year, but I’ll try my best.

Comment and vote!

Kaz xoxo