Chapter 71

Chapter 71

Nick’s P.O.V:

I held my phone away from my ear for a moment, checking the screen to make sure I had the right number. “I’m sorry, can you repeat that please?”

Mark chuckled; “don’t be such an idiot. You heard me.”

I scowled at the blank TV screen in front of me. “I think I preferred it when all you cared about was getting drunk and how many girls you could sleep with in a week.”

Now he laughed outright. “I know. Maturity sucks, doesn’t it?” he said cheerfully. Fucking hell.

“So what am I supposed to do, exactly?” I asked, rubbing my eyes tiredly. I could almost hear his shrug on the other end of the line. “That’s up to you. All I know is that you have to do something. Look; this isn’t just about Shannon being all depressed anymore. She’s unconsciously dragging you down with her.” He paused and I stayed silent, waiting for him to continue. “As much as I love the girl, you’re my best friend. I can’t let you keep going down this road. None of us want to lose you; either of you.” He finished seriously.

“You know, I think that’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me” I said sarcastically, but my heart wasn’t really in it.

“You can joke” he muttered.

We sat in silence for a moment or two. Finally, I heard him sigh angrily; “I have to go, we have unwanted company.” He disconnected, but not before I heard a male voice in the background. Lee, then.

Mark really hated him (not that I could blame him), and ever since Shannon and I got back from the funeral, vegetating on our couch for hours on end wasn’t really an option anymore. So he was stuck at home with Lee. I was surprised he hadn’t already cracked – no, exploded – under the pressure.

He’d also told me that apparently Jay and Nikki were having problems. It wasn’t looking good. I felt like the world’s worst friend. I’d been so wrapped up in my own misery that I hadn’t been paying attention to anyone else.

Mark was right, I decided. I needed to do something. The question was; what could I do? All I knew was that sitting around moping would accomplish absolutely nothing. Carpe diem, and all that.

I stood up and stretched my arms high above my head before marching over to Shannon’s room. Yes, I marched.

I knocked on the door. Silence.

I knocked again. I heard a muffled sound that I took to be permission to enter. Even so, I was cautious as I inched the door open. I wasn’t sure how I’d be received. Shannon hadn’t spoken so much as a word to me since our conversation that night at the bar. That had been a week ago.

When nothing was launched at my head and she didn’t scream at me to get out, I swung the door wide.

“Going somewhere?” I thought out loud. It was pretty much a rhetorical question – she didn’t wear five inch heels to bed.

She barely spared a glance my way. “Out.”

Judging by the tone of her voice, she was none too happy with me. Taking a deep breath, I remembered my conversation with Mark. I just needed to persevere; no more standing on the side-lines.

“Again?” I ventured. “You always go out these days. Wouldn’t you prefer to stay in tonight?”

“No.” Her tone brooked no argument. Too bad I’d decided to throw caution to the wind. No more being nice until we resolved some of our issues. “Look, we need to talk.”