Every time I saw Shannon with other guys, jealousy flared up hotly inside me. I instantly hated whoever it was. I wanted to be the one to hug her, to make her laugh and smile. It even got on my nerves these days to see Mark shamelessly flirting with her – and I knew he’d never do anything, if only because he was my best friend.

I never used to feel like that, but then, I used to be secure in the fact that Shannon liked me, and she was with me. But now, well, everything was up in the air; and everything and everyone suddenly felt like a threat.

If I was honest with myself, being with Shannon made me happier than I’d been since…well, since I made my mother sick. Maybe that’s why I was so ‘needy’. I’d forgotten what happiness felt like; I didn’t wasn’t to lose that feeling ever again…and yet, I’d been so quick to ruin everything.

I grimaced as rain began to fall in icy sheets, leaving my face numb from the cold. I blinked my eyes rapidly in an attempt to see through the rain. It didn’t work. The drops ran down my face and neck in little rivulets, soaking me through to the skin.

I remembered my English teacher a couple of years ago droning on in class about treating inanimate objects as if they had human feelings; pathetic…something. I rolled my eyes at the pointless direction my thoughts had taken.

My old teacher would have a heart attack if she thought I remembered her lessons. I’d been what she’d labelled a ‘lost cause’. I smiled with absolutely no hint of amusement. If only she could see how much of a lost cause I was now.

I heard my name being called, but I didn’t stop or look back. If anything, I quickened my pace. I wasn’t in a sociable mood.

The loud, screeching voice sounded again, and I could hear the quick patter of footsteps behind me. I pulled my hood closer around my face and wondered briefly how long I could ignore whoever it was without being too rude. I was going to try and be polite from now…a late New Year’s resolution. I didn’t think I’d last long; especially with a bone-jarringly screechy voice gaining on me. The sound of the voice brought to mind images of harpies…that couldn’t be a good sign.

“Fuck my life” I muttered. I just wanted to get home to Shannon.

A bright pink shape moved into my peripheral vision. I glanced over, taking in the Barbie pink jacket and matching umbrella. She looked like a walking marshmallow. I didn’t like marshmallows, and I definitely didn’t like girls who wore pink all the time. It was one of many things that endeared me to Shannon.

I almost looked away without comment, but it was the heavy pancake makeup that clued me into who it was. What was her name again? Callie? Carly?

Carla - that was it. Memories surfaced unbidden to my mind when I put a name to her face. Her flirting with a group of guys; her practically having sex with someone in a not-so-dark corner; her high-pitched, headache inducing giggle. I didn’t like girls who giggled all the time either. And finally, I remembered her wearing a monstrosity of a yellow dress that hurt my eyes with each movement.

I nodded shortly at her by way of greeting. She didn’t seem to be making any moves to leave me alone, despite my obvious lack of interest.

“Nick!” I fought a flinch, knowing that making any sudden moves wasn’t a good idea. I learnt that on the wildlife channel (David Attenborough could make anything interesting). Who ever said TV wasn’t educational?

I kept my eyes focused straight ahead, nodding once more.

“You look cold” she simpered.

“It’s raining” I replied sardonically. Was she stupid?