‘Does it bother you the way I act around guys, Mark and Jay in particular?’

I realised how it would look to an outsider and I’d gotten in trouble before for my naturally flirty behaviour, even though I never meant any harm by it…and never really even noticed I was doing it.

He thought about it for a moment, his fingers tracing a line up my calf to my knee and back down.

‘No’ he said eventually. ‘For starters, I know you flirt, but that’s just you, and besides, I know you’d never act on it - and Mark and Jay are my best friends. Even if Jay wasn’t totally committed to Nicole, he’d never do that to me, and Mark, well, Mark is all talk’

‘Despite the fact that he’s kissed me multiple times?’ I teased.

‘Despite that’ he smiled. ‘Besides, Mark’s got nothing on me’

I rolled my eyes, surprised that he didn’t just flex his biceps…not that I’d have minded in the slightest.

‘I knew there was a reason I liked you’ I said dryly.

‘Loved’ he corrected; grinning at me, ‘you knew there was a reason why you loved me’

I just answered him with another eye roll.

I was brought back to the present by a dark haired guy with his head bent and his hands stuffed in his pockets as he pushed past.

I stepped closer to Nick to avoid him and for a split second, I thought it was Lee.

I knew it wasn’t, but ever since he’d stopped me after class almost a week ago, I’d been half expecting him to try talking to me again. Maybe he’d finally gotten the message.

As I’d expected, it wasn’t long before the guys began to moan – Mark was the first to break as predicted - though I had to admit that even I was flagging as Nikki dragged us into the umpteenth shop. She seemed to possess an endless capacity to shop; something we didn’t share in common.

I had my limits and I was very picky, so inevitably I had less bags for Nick to carry (I felt sorry for Jay).

We stopped at one last shop – La Senza – but it was agreed that while Nikki and I shopped, the guys would go eat or something.

As far as I was concerned, men reacted in two ways when taken underwear shopping; they’d either love it or be entirely freaked out by the overabundance of lace and frills surrounding them.

With a few discreet looks and nods, Nikki and I decided to skip all of that and go in by ourselves.

‘You sure you don’t need any help?’ Nick whispered, pulling me close.

I laughed and reached up to caress his smooth cheek – he’d finally bothered to shave – ‘if you’re lucky you might get to see what I buy later’

I knew I shouldn’t but I couldn’t help it, I really couldn’t, and the look on his face was completely worth it.

‘Wow, I can feel the tension from here’

I looked up to see Mark standing beside us, grinning. I sighed and stepped over to Nikki, shooting a glare at Mark. He was just a tad irritating and I felt nothing but satisfaction when I saw Nick punch him in the arm.

They finally left and Nikki and were able to step into the shop.

We wandered around, joking and laughing. It was nice having a bit of girl time. We moved back to the changing rooms.