130. Our Day 💍

Before we left the hotel together, A.B. and I went to my parents' room. One thing I do appreciate about him is his relationship with my parents. He actually enjoys their company to the point of going to their room to let them know that he'll be with their daughter out for the day. How sweet is that?

I hid in the hall, out of sight. This shouldn't be a long conversation. Also, I'm just ready for this road trip that A.B. and I are taking today.

"Y'all have fun," I heard my dad say.

"Not too much fun," I heard my mom say. "We want a wedding before the ba--"

I quickly pulled on the handle, closing my parents' door. I glanced at A.B. "We will see them tomorrow morning for breakfast."

The door opened and I almost fell in their room as my hand was still on the handle.

My mom narrowed her eyes at me. "Ever since we met Jace, you've been acting like you're embarrassed that we're your parents."

"Mama, noooo..." I stood up straight.

"Either that or you're hiding something. What is it? Did y'all elope the first time y'all went to Yellow Sand Beach?"

This is embarrassing. I shook my head as I looked at the floor.

"I apologize, Mrs. Sawyer," A.B. spoke, "I haven't dated in a while. I forgot that I have that effect on women."

My eyes shot wide open when I heard what I thought I heard.

"That's my boy, right there!" My dad held out his hand.

Then, A.B. had the nerve to clasp his hand with my dad.

"Ronaldson!" My mom hissed.

We all looked at her.

"We'll see y'all tomorrow," I whispered before walking away.

I heard A.B. tell my parents bye before following me.

We stood in front of the elevators.

"I wasn't gonna say anything," A.B. cleared his throat, "but I'm ashamed that you get embarrassed of me in front of your parents."

I was two seconds from saying something smart when the elevator doors opened and two kids came running out followed by their parents. Then, A.B. and I got on the elevator.

After closing the elevator doors and pressing the lobby button, A.B. got close to me and took my right hand.

I slowly inhaled and exhaled before looking over at A.B. 

He was smiling at me.

I pointed at him. "You know you got my dad in trouble. I haven't heard my mom say my dad's middle name in yeeears."

"Your parents still think we're engaged," he said.

No, he didn't change the subject. I put my left hand in front of A.B. "No ring to prove anything."

A.B. said, "Let's take it seriously then. Starting today, we're engaged."

"Okay," I agreed without hesitation. 

The elevator door opened, and I walked through the lobby, confidently holding A.B.'s hand. I don't know if being engaged was going to increase our affection toward one another or keep things the same. I do know that I was ready to take things a step or two further. 

Our first stop was at a jewelry store. I was ready to stay in the car, because I thought he was playing.

A.B. chuckled, "Jamie, I thought you wanted to take this seriously?"