74. Mother Knows🤱🏽

My mom shouted, "My girls are here! Priscilla, this is my niece Monica. And this is my baby girl Jamie." My mom pulled me into a hug.

"Hey, mama." She looked and sounded far from worried. I tried to keep my eyes from roaming over to A.B.'s location as my mom  led me over to the woman. 

The woman stood up and smiled at me. She had the prettiest hazel eyes I'd ever seen. Her hair was in a curly black and gray bun. She wore light makeup and a yellow dress that exposed her black high heels. The color was made for a her beautiful skin.

She spoke, "Well hello, gorgeous. You're the famous woman my son has told me so much about."

I nervously giggled, "Hi, it's nice to meet you. I hope he didn't use the word 'famous.'"

Priscilla lightly laughed, "He didn't. He just wouldn't stop talking about you. Had me thinking I was about to meet my daughter-in-law."

My eyes bucked as I glanced at A.B.

My mom added, "If Jamie eloped, she wouldn't live to see the next day."

"Well, since marriage is the topic of discussion," Monica interjected, "I would like to address that I am engaged to whatever is on the stove. Can we eat now?"

Everyone laughed at Monica's unexpected joke.

"We'll talk more later, sweetie," Priscilla told me.

"Okay, Mrs. Bravos."

"Call me Cilla."

I started to follow everyone, but I froze when I heard his voice.

"I'm surprised Monica didn't tell you I was here."

I slowly turned around to face him. "She knew you were here?" The way she brought up flying back home to Zeke seemed odd to me. I swear that girl gets a kick out of reactions. No wonder she does it for a living. I asked, "Wait, why are you here?"

"My mom wanted to go to the best place in East Grove for soul food, and I couldn't keep your mom's cooking a secret."

I clasped my hands together. "I knew it! You do come over here a lot."

A.B. walked past me. "Your mom said I'm welcomed anytime."

I quickly grabbed his hand and snuck him down the hall to my old bedroom. I closed the door behind us.

"Jamie, you're getting too comfortable taking me to your bedroom." He winked.

"Shush!" I spread my arms out wide. "Would it be too much to ask you for a hug, right now?"

A.B. pretended to think about it.

"A.B., I'm serious."

"Only if you tell me what's wrong."

I responded, "I will."

He gently wrapped his arms around me.

I closed my eyes.

Seconds later, he rubbed my back. "How does that feel?"

I slowly inhaled and exhaled. "Good."

"Talk to me. What's bothering you?"

I rested my head on him. "Have you heard about the intern that used to work at RiSe?"

"That's all they're talking about today. Did you know her?" A.B. asked me.

"No. Zeke met with Ricky and found out she was his goddaughter. That's why the building is closed today."