34. Future Tense ⌛

I took Monica on a grand tour of the Rivers' mansion. What could've been a twenty minute tour was turning into an hour. She stopped to take pictures with everything she believed "cost more than her bank account" - her words not mine. Finally, we made it to the backyard. 

"Oh, this a nice little setup," Monica commented, "Is there another pool behind those bushes?"

I rolled my eyes. "Monica, how does that massive green wall look like bushes to you?"

Too busy posing and snapping photos, Monica shrugged her shoulders.

"I really like it back here. It's quiet with a beautiful view of the secret garden," I whispered.

Monica asked, "Why is it so green, though? Is it fake?"

"The grass is real," I informed her.

Monica took another picture. "That's enough for me out here. Is there more to see inside?"

I placed my hands on my hips. "It's a maze. You don't wan to go in?" I pointed at the green wall

Monica bucked her eyes at me. "Jamie, I did not sign up to be in a horror movie. Do you know the original meaning behind a maze? Delusion. Confusion. A complex path. Just because they call them puzzles today don't make it something fun. I'm here on vacation not occupation. And just because I want to have fun, doesn't mean I'll be letting my guard down. We're in Hollyweird."

Is the lecture over? I rubbed my temples.

"It's probably a bunch of demons hidden in there, anyway. Let's go back inside." Monica walked to the door.

We made our way to the kitchen and sat at the dining room table. Right on time for food. I introduced Monica to Bridgette and Warren. They thought we were sisters. First Maximo, now them. This has to stop. 

After a delicious lunch, Monica and I went back to my room. Before she could ask, I told her what Zeke said about my song.

"That's it? You're song was recorded in his studio, and he doesn't know who stole it. Then, it ends up in Aja Frost's hands who is signed to the man you're going to sign with tomorrow." Monica lied in my bed drinking a bottle of apple juice. "Jamie, that sounds like a bunch of bull. Did he even say how you'll be getting paid? The song is already in rotation."

I sat in the purple chair in the corner of the room. I didn't know what to say as I looked out the window. I forgot I could see the pool from up here. The sight made me think of Yellow Sand Beach. Is it crazy that I miss--

Monica's voice interrupted my thoughts. "Cousin, you didn't come out here to give your dream away. If you're serious about being a singer and a songwriter, you gotta be aggressive. Because this will happen again and again and again. What will Zeke say next time? 'Oh, don't worry. You can collab with them, too.' All you need is one hit, Jamie. You can be an independent artist. You can put out your music when you want and keep all your money to yourself."

I looked at my cousin. "Monica, if it weren't for Zeke, I wouldn't have even had this opportunity. I recorded my songs in his studio, in his house, in his city. You know Zeke and I are working together. I'm helping him get credibility in the music industry without his family's interference, and he's helping me with my dream career."

Monica smacked her lips. "All I'm saying is be on alert. You gotta be 10 steps ahead of everybody. How long does this pretend relationship last - until you sign a contract? Where will you live next month or next year? There has to be a believable breakup so his family isn't like 'whatever happened to that girl that was living upstairs?' Girl, I need you to be asking them deep questions, because this day-the-day thing is not it."