8. Nothing like Family 👨🏿‍👩🏿‍👧🏿‍👧🏿

Sunday came faster than it ever had. Although, I was slightly ready to go, I knew I couldn't leave without seeing my parents in-person. I called them earlier to let them know that I was on my way. When I got to the front door --

"Jammy!" My aunt grabbed me into a full hug. Before I knew it, we were rocking side-to-side. 

If I didn't have my feet firmly on the ground, I would've fell over as soon as she hugged me

I heard Monica laughing.

I finally said, "Hey, Aunt Marcie. I didn't know you would be here." 

Aunt Marcie is Monica's mom. Although they resembled each other, they were nothing alike. Aunt Marcie refused to wear pants. I've only ever seen her wear dresses and skirts. Monica was a T-shirt and jeans, shorts, or pajama pants kind-of-girl. Aunt Marcie has always been full of love, but if you try her, she will not hesitate to tell you how wrong you are. She can talk your ear, eyelid, eyebrow, mouth, and nose off. Now that I think about it, Monica is Aunt Marcie.

Aunt Marcie pulled away. "Girl, you're going to California. Of course, I'll be here to show my support. Monica would've been in trouble if she didn't tell me."

Monica nodded her head in agreement. "You already know, cousin. Oh, my dad couldn't make it. He had to work. He said congratulations and wishes you the best time in LA." 

"Aww, tell him I said thank you." We walked inside my parents' house.

"Everybody know I can't stay long, right?" I asked Monica.

She smacked her lips. "Your flight leaves at 9 a.m. You told me, and I told them." 

"Thanks, cousin," I smiled at her.

Monica smiled back at me, "Guess who else is here..."

My brows merged as we went to the living room. 

"Uncle Nors!" I left Monica to run to my uncle. I embraced him.

He remained seated on the sofa with his cane in front of him. I hadn't seen him in almost a year. Ever since his kids put him in the nursing home, we don't get to see him much. Uncle Nors is not really my uncle. He's more like a family friend. He practically raised my mom and Monica's dad when they were kids. He either dated or was best friends with their aunt. It's something like that. All I know is that he took Monica and I everywhere when we were kids. "Hey, Little Bit."

"Uncle, I thought I was Little Bit?" Monica asked him.

Uncle Nors pointed at her. "You're Big Little Bit."

Monica's brows met. "Jamie is older than me, though."

After hugging my uncle, he asked me, "Are you excited to go to Los Angeles?"

I nodded my head. "Yes. Nervous, too."

"You'll be fine. God will watch over you. And you can always come back where family will be waiting for you," Uncle Nors told me.

"Thank you, Uncle Nors."

"Congratulations!" I heard my mother's voice before I saw her walking towards me. "I always knew your beautiful voice was going to take you places."

I chuckled, "I didn't know you'd be this excited. I didn't know none of y'all would."

"Yes, we're excited." Aunt Marcie folded her arms. For the first time since I got here, I noticed her curly hair was a little crooked. Aunt Marcie loved her wigs.

"Your my daughter. I'll always support your dreams," my mom told me.

My step-dad came out the kitchen with a small cake in his hands. It had decorations similar to fireworks on it with one sparkler on top.

Monica cleared her throat. "I can't sing like my cousin, and even though, it's not her birthday..." She snapped her fingers, "I'm gonna sing this just like the Happy Birthday song... One. Two. Three... Congratulations, Jamie! Congratulations, Jamie! Congratulations, Jamie! Congratulations, Jamie!"

I covered my face, because I could feel the tears trying to rain down. I could not let that happen or I just might cancel my flight to stay here. 

Monica removed my hands from my face and hugged me as they all sang to me.

I looked at my step-dad. He said, "Congratulations, my beautiful step-daughter. You have always made me proud no matter what. I'm so happy for you. We love you, and we all care about you. And don't forget that you can always come home."

"I won't."

Uncle Nors began to sing a beautiful song about family and praying. My mouth was wide open. His voice was absolutely amazing. I didn't know Uncle Nors could sing. It reminded me of Luther Vandross. Towards the end, he was sounding like K-Ci & JoJo.  Is this where I got my singing ability from? My mom wasn't a singer, and I never heard her say my dad could sing, either. I will assume that mystery is solved. I will claim my singing came from Uncle Nors.

Uncle Nors looked at me with a sparkle in his eyes. He pointed at me. "Don't let them change you, Jamie. We love you, Little Bit."

"I love you, too. Thank you, Uncle Nors. That was beautiful. Thank y'all for all of this. I wish I could stay longer, but I can't miss my flight." Oh, this was so overwhelming. They were making this hard for me.

My step-dad hugged me. "We understand. Did you need a ride to the airport?" He passed the cake to my mom.

"No. My ride is two minutes away." I glanced at my phone.

"You're leaving your car here?" My mom placed the small cake on the coffee table.

"Yes. It's parked along the curb. Here's the keys." I handed my car keys to my step-dad. "Take good care of her."

My mom hugged me. "I wish I could go with you, honey."

"I know, but I hope I can fly you out there, real soon."

After hugging everyone, I walked out the house. The driver stood next to a black Mercedes Benz. He greeted me and opened the back door. I got inside and watched my family wave good-bye. I waved back. I was going to try to remember them all standing there, just like that. 

Wow! They definitely surprised me. I didn't think they would be this happy for me. Now, I have the added pressure to succeed, but I can do this. Right? Yeah! I know I can!

Finally, the driver started the engine, and  we were enroute to the airport.