88. The Last Ride 🏇

The 2022 Holiday Parade starts at 10 a.m. Originally, Deonte, a few other artists, and myself were to perform indoors. This morning, during setup, the stage caught fire. Now, the indoor artists have to perform outside. I was okay with it until they said we have to perform on top of floats.

 I was okay with it until they said we have to perform on top of floats

Yeah. Just about everything that could go wrong popped up in my head. Even the incident where the Barney balloon ripped. I was trying not to think negative, but I'd never performed on a moving platform before. 

My makeup artist just finished my makeup. My hairstylist quickly fixed my bangs before putting a red sequin hat on my head. 

"Jae, you got this. We'll see you outside."

"Thank y'all." I waved at them as they left my dressing room.

I looked in the mirror and adjusted my sunglasses. They were black and severely tinted. I knew I should've brought a backup. How am I going to see where I'm walking?

There was a knock on my door. "Come in!" I picked up my phone to see the time. The parade just started. My performance is at 11:45 a.m. 

The door opened and Deonte Way walked in, wearing a smile.

I turned around. "I thought you were the stage manager or somebody."

He closed the door. "And I thought you'd be happy to see me."

I stood up. "I am happy to see you."

We embraced one another.

"Wait. Are you nervous?" He asked me.

Of all things, I asked, "What if I fall?"

Deonte replied, "We're gonna be on the same float, and you don't even have to move around. When you perform, I'll be your model. When I perform, you can be my model."

"So, just stand there like this?" I put one hand on my hip and waved with the other.

"Now you look like a pageant winner. Okay. Don't be a model. Be the hype man." He took my hand on his hand. "The ride is twenty minutes. Our performances are ten minutes together. Don't overthink it. If we mess up - so what? Keep going. Get involved with the crowd. Act like... act like it's a concert."

I took a deep breath. "Okay."

"Good?"

"I'm good."

 He released my hand. "Besides, people gonna pay more attention to what you're wearing. You look cute in your western holiday costume. " He pinched the sleeve of my white fringed jacket.

"Cute?" I spun around. My attire was a red sequin western hat, white fringe jacket, a short red flared skirt, and red sequin boots. Before I could finish my turn, I bumped into a rack of clothes.

Deonte grabbed me before I could fall. "Be careful."

Once I had my balance, I nodded my head. That was so embarrassing. "It's these dang glasses. They're so dark." I started to take them off, but I remembered he's never seen me without them.