62. Win or Lose 👍

Before I could make it home, Monica called me to pick her up. When I arrived at her place, she had three bags sitting outside her door. "Is she moving in with me?" I got out of my car after parking it.

Monica came outside dressed for bed in her matching pajama set.

"Monica, how much stuff did you pack?"

"Girl, I need a vacation. I'm staying with you for at least two weeks. Honestly, I can do a whole month. Bridgette be throwing down in the kitchen, and I got Maximo a gift." She locked her front door.

I folded my arms. "Monica, we are not taking all those bags to the airport."

"Yes, we are!" She pointed at each suitcase. "This one has my laptop, tablet, recording equipment and lights in it. This one has all my clothes and shoes in it. This one is empty, because I might need to go shopping or something. And I'm just gonna buy all my hygiene products when I get there. I'll ask Maximo to takes us when he picks us up from the airport."

I didn't need to hear anymore. I grabbed a suitcase and rolled it to my car. After loading up her luggage, we stopped by Sonic to get us some food and drinks. We ended up driving past the music store. I saw A.B.'s car was still in the parking lot. He better not be working overtime.

"Jamie!"

I looked at my cousin. "What?"

"Did you hear me?"

"Y-yeah!"

"What did I say?"

I tried to think.

"What did I say?" She repeated.

"You said that you can't wait to get on the plane--"

"I knew you weren't listening! I asked what did you and A.B. do today?"

And here I was trying not to think about A.B. "We went to see his uncle, my old manager. You know he had a stroke. A.B. is doing his best to keep the business running. Cousin, it was so heartbreaking to see that man lying in that bed unable to move."

"He can't move?"

"He's paralyzed on one side. He did seem more cheerful, though. I'd never seen him so... so jolly."

"Jolly? Girl, who you been kissing?" Monica joked. "I never heard you use that word before. I don't even use that word."

I quickly fixed my face to hide the guilt. "So, are you ready to go to L.A.?"

"Am I? I'm vlogging, I'm relaxing, and I have plans to get me a man; specifically a rich and famous one."

I chuckled, "Slow down, chica. Did you forget that I still have to work?"

Monica smiled, "Exactly! You have to work. Not me!"

We finally made it back to my parents' house. We took our party to my bedroom even though my parents weren't home. East Grove's Annual Gala was definitely a time for the older crowd to let loose. I was glad they could enjoy themselves along with their peers. 

Monica and I ate until our stomachs were full and talked until we fell asleep.

The following morning came too fast, but we got up and made it to the airport by way of my stepdad. "Y'all be safe. I love you both!"

"Thanks, daddy! I love you, too."

"Bye, uncle! Love ya!"

Inside the airport, we waited for our plane. Monica laid down to take a nap. I decided to text A.B.

Me: Good morning! We're at the airport.

A.B.: Good morning! I hope you got plenty of rest.