28. A High Note 🕹️

We walked inside the building and my childhood was triggered. "They changed everything." I placed my hand over my heart as I spun around.

A.B. glanced at me. "It's been more than 10 years since you were last here."

"Okay, but... if I don't see my game, I'm done." I walked ahead of A.B.

We got in line to purchase tokens or coins or whatever they call them now. "A.B., look!" I pointed at the large window. There was a go-kart track outside and people were racing on it. "That wasn't here before. That's definitely new."

"Want to do that?" He asked me.

"Mmmm.... no. I really want to play my game."

A.B. chuckled, "Okay."

At the register, the employee asked what we would be purchasing today. The menu in front of us listed the amount of tokens, go-kart passes, virtual reality games, and the restaurant's food prices.

"We'll get 300 tokens and two go-kart passes."

I glanced at A.B. and tilted my head. I just told him that I'm wasn't interested in go-karts.

"All right! When you see the green light, press on the right pedal with your right foot. When you see the yellow light, slow down by slightly pressing on the left pedal with your left foot. When you see the red light, come to a complete stop by pressing all the way down on the left pedal. Any questions?" The man in a checkered pattern uniform uniform asked everyone.

I looked over at A.B. as we sat in a two-person go-kart. 

He looked at me. "You ready?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "No!" I shouted over the loud engines.

"Have fun!" The man walked over to the platform, stepping away from the go-karts.

"What'cha say? I didn't hear you." A.B. pretended not to hear me.

Not even a second later, A.B. pressed on the right pedal and we were speeding on the track. I let out a loud scream. When we reached our first curve, our bodies jerked to the side. It led us up a ramp. We made a sharp right turn. Before I knew it, we went from having five go-karts in front of us to having none. We went into another curve that was a large semi-circle. Then, we started going down a hill. I tightly closed my eyes. At our speed and as low as we were to the ground, I could feel my stomach jump out of my body. And I was still screaming. I'm pretty sure I sounded like a cat fighting a rat or when the guy in the movie "Accepted" screamed.

A.B. placed his hand on my arm. "It's over. It's over."

I opened my eyes to see that we had stopped. Most of the people were out of their go-karts and heading back inside. I quickly took off the seatbelt and got out the go-kart. I went back inside the building, shaking off my embarrassment. I could hear A.B. laughing behind me. I turned around to look at him. 

He cleared his throat when he saw my face. "Yeah, that wasn't funny."

I snapped my fingers. "Now, let's go find my game." I led the way as I paraded around the game floor. By the third walk around, I became agitated. "Please don't tell me they got rid of my game."

"Didn't you say you won a lot a tickers from it?" A.B. asked me.

I nodded my head as I did a slow turn to make sure I didn't miss a spot.