25. Let's Go There 🤝

A.B. sent a group text about free donuts and drinks. Five people showed up. I was glad, because I got to see my old co-workers.

After consuming as many donuts as they could, Jessica pulled me away from everyone as we headed to the checkout counter. She unlinked her arm from mine and looked at me.

I grinned, "What did I do?"

Jessica sighed with a big smile on her face. "Why did you leave us?"

That's right. I didn't get the chance to tell my former co-workers. "I got an opportunity to become chase my dream."

She smacked her lips. "We all know that, but instead of hearing it from you, we heard it from A.B. And as fine and fun as he is, we haven't done anything like this since you were last here. Remember the cookoff competition?"

I know I'm older than Jessica, but I was feeling like a child as I listened to her.

"Of all the days I've been working here, I remember that day the most," she informed me.

"Jessica, A.B. is just filling in for his uncle. He can't do stuff like that all the time," I tried to explain.

Jessica rolled her eyes with such exaggeration. I thought her eyes were going to roll out of her head. "We're grown, right? So listen to me when I tell you... read between the lines, girl."

I stretched my neck. "Could you just tell me wh--"

"Jessica, I thought you wasn't working today!" 

I turned around to see Nate, Brivona, A.B., and the new employee Tempest. 

Nate ran toward Jessica, but stopped a few inches from her face. "You on the clock?"

"Boy, move!" Jessica held her hand up in annoyance. "If you were listening instead of eating all the donuts, you would've heard me ask A.B. if I can work today."

Nate licked hips lips. "You better be working. There will be no slackers on my watch."

"What time do you clock out today?" Jessica asked Nate as he walked behind the counter.

"At five. Why?"

Jessica looked at A.B. who stood next to me. 

As if he could read her mind, A.B. said, "Jessica, you can leave at noon."

"Thank you!" She left us to go organize the instruments on every aisle.

Brivona asked, "Can I take a late lunch?"

A.B. thought before replying with "Is 3 o'clock okay?"

Brivona nodded her head. "I'm going to check the voice messages and emails." She waved and joined Nate behind the counter. Even though it wasn't too obvious, her eyes said it all. She was in love with A.B.

Tempest yawned, "Well, I'll be back at 1 o'clock, bro. Jamie, thanks for the breakfast. Buh-bye, everyone!" She made her loud exit before walking out the store.

"Where did you find her?" I asked A.B.

"She found us. She's a student at East Grove College. She's studying to be a HVAC Technician."

"Really? That's amazing. I'm rooting for her," I confessed.

"Earlier this week, the refrigerator wasn't working. She fixed it. Dave said he is going to be her first client after she graduates this summer."

I added, "Dave is the best. He knows how to treat his employees, and you're just like him."

A.B. tapped his temple. "Dave knows what's important - relationships."