39. Party Conversations 🪩

When I went back to my bedroom, I opened the door to find Monica dancing to a song turned up to the max while trying on a dress. 

"She rock her hips, she rock her hips, and wave and sip," Monica sang.

I walked over the dresser where her phone sat on a stereo that I hadn't seen before. I pressed the pause button on her phone.

Monica looked at me. "Girl, I've tried on about five different dresses and none of them are giving. Do you think Maximo will take us shopping?"

With my phone in hand, I called Zeke. Let's just say, Monica and I enjoyed our shopping spree. Several hours later, we walked behind Zeke into a massive mega mansion/hotel. After learning that Rickey's HAFH stood for Home Away From Home, I don't think it's fair to refer to it as a home. Also, it was super dark outside, so things may appear differently at night. The room we entered seemed to go as far as a football field, but it could be my imagination.

Not even five minutes inside, Zeke was greeting and taking pictures with some of everybody. Bridgette's voice seemed louder than ever as I thought about what she told me earlier today.

Monica snapped her fingers in my face. "Now is not the time to daydream," she told me. "We are around a lot of celebrities. We gotta fit in and look like we belong." 

She shouted, "Oh, hey, girl! Good to see you!" Monica randomly waved at everyone who even looked in our direction or looked in Zeke's direction.

"Monica, stop it," I pleaded.

Nevertheless, I'm glad she's here with me.

"Jae A.B.!" Aja Frost walked towards me.

This woman was even prettier in person. From her long blond hair to her black high heels. Did I mention the only color she wears is black? That's why some call her "So Cold." She was short, too. Aja Frost leaned forward and hugged me. "Congratulations and welcome to the family, my love!"

Monica said, "Jae and I are your biggest fans! We love, love you, Aja!"

Aja Frost winked at Monica. "Thanks, my love!" She looked at me, "Are you ready to record together?"

Was that even a real question? "Uh, yeah! You're my favorite singer!"

She tapped my hand. "I can't wait to hear more from you. Are you ready to perform tonight?"

Monica gasped, "What will she perform in front of all these people?"

I began to silently panic. There's no way I'm performing tonight.

"Don't worry. It's just an introduction. I know you will kill it."

Monica gave me the side-eye.

"Have fun, my love. I'll see you in a bit." Aja Frost left us.

"We need a bathroom asap," I told my cousin.

Monica spoke to Zeke. He had a guard lead us to the bathroom and wait on us.

I sat on the lid of the toilet, fanning myself. "I feel like I'm going to faint."

Monica grabbed some cloth-like paper towels. "It'll be a quick. You can do this, cousin."

"A performance is what she said. That's not quick. Why is it so hot in this bathroom?" I asked as I removed my sunglasses and fanned myself.

"Because you're sweating and panicking for no reason," Monica dapped my face and neck with the paper towels. "Cousin, I need you to just breathe. You're not doing choreography or anything complex. Being that you'll be singing with Aja Frost, you already know what song you'll be singing. Just practice it while we're in here."