46. Call It A Date 👩🏿‍❤️‍👨🏿

I closed my eyes while wearing a smile. "What have you been up to?" I inquired.

"Too much, honestly. I know you've been super busy yourself," he said.

"Oh, I have so much to catch you up on," I informed him.

A.B. said, "Same here, but I know it's late so I'm not going to keep you up. I just wanted to tell you over the phone that I'll be flying out to L.A. tomorrow morning."

I gasped, "Really?" 

A.B. chuckled, "Yeah. I'm meeting with a client who wants to finalize our contract. I don't know if I told you about it, but the property is located next to East Grove College."

"I think you told me, but wow! How crazy is it that you have a client in L.A.? How long are you staying here?"

He replied, "Not long. My plane leaves Sunday at 6:35 p.m."

I pouted, "One day? Can you stay a little longer?"

"I wish I could, but... my uncle had a stroke last week. He's currently in the hospital."

I grew concerned as I sat all the way up. "What? Mr. Dave had a stroke? And what about Music Bravos?"

"I've been running the store as best as I can, but I had to post on Indeed and put an ad in the paper for a full-time manager."

This hurt to hear. "Is Mr. Dave not going to be able to run the store anymore?" 

A.B. answered, "Unfortunately, he's paralyzed on one side of his body."

I dropped my head into the palm of my hand. "That's terrible, A.B. I wish I could go back home to see him."

"I know. I've been praying to God for his healing and recovery and to help my aunt since she's alone at home until my uncle is clear to leave the hospital."

I slowly shook my head. "I am so sorry, A.B. For now on, we have to talk more often. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help."

"No, Jamie. I couldn't burden you. You have a life to live."

A.B. may not voice it, but I know he's hurt.

He continued, "My meeting is tomorrow morning, but I'm free after that. What does your schedule look like?"

I took a deep breath. "The reverse. I have the morning off, and I have a meeting at 1:30 p.m., another at 3 p.m., and the last one is at 6:15 p.m. I should be free by 8 o'clock."

A.B. said, "Perfect. I'll pick you up at nine or do you want to meet me?"

"I can meet you. Are you staying at a hotel?"

"Airbnb. I'll text you the address. We can probably go out to eat or get a late night snack."

"That sounds great," I told him.

A.B. said, "I'll see you tomorrow, Jamie."

"See you tomorrow. Have a safe flight."

"Thanks. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, A.B."

We ended the call, and I happily fell asleep. Then, I woke up two hours before my alarm went off. I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't. I threw the covers off my body, and I got out of bed. After getting ready for the day, I headed downstairs to the kitchen and caught Bridgette leaving. 

"I thought you were already gone. Are you hungry?" She asked me.

"Am I?" She should know food is my catharsis.

Bridgette chuckled, "I can cook you something or you can have Zeke's plate that he asked for and never came to get."

I told her, "I'll take it since it's already cooked."