93. The Missing Piece 🔓

We got in Deonte's car with a bag of four to-go plates. I'm gonna be hungry tonight and all weekend, because I don't even know what Zeke's family is going to eat on his mother's birthday.

"Earlier, you were asking questions about living in a condo. If you want, I can show you around the neighborhood."

I put on my seatbelt. "Really? Let's spin the block, then."

Deonte chuckled, "Cool."

After exiting the parking garage, Deonte drove around the neighborhood, showing me almost every nook and cranny. He pointed out grocery stores, a park, shopping areas, restaurants, and back roads to take in case there is traffic.

"I didn't expect you to show me everything." Wait. That sounded kinda rude. "I mean, I'm glad you showed me more than I expected you to."

Deonte looked ahead as he drove. "If I'm being honest... I'm not ready to leave your presence."

I instantly smiled, "Aww, really?"

"Yeah. You're fun to be around, and this was supposed to be our hangout day, but my family surprised me."

"We can still hangout. You know anywhere we can go?" I asked him.

Deonte slowed the car down at a red traffic light. "Hmm... Do you like desserts?"

I gave Deonte a mean mug. "Sir, what type of question is that? I'm a sweet tooth fanatic."

"I knew you and I were on the same wavelength, same frequency."

"Exactly. Same page, same chapter," I added.

We both laughed.

Deonte said, "Cookies and ice cream are my weaknesses. There's this spot near my old neighborhood that has the best ice cream sandwiches in all of L.A."

"Stop talking. Take me, right now," I demanded.

Deonte went through the green light, made a right turn, went down a back road, and made an immediate right into a small parking lot. He got in the longest drive-thru I've ever been in.

I arched my brow, "Is it always like this?"

"Always," Deonte smiled at me. "I promise you. It's worth the wait."

"How long will it take for us to get to the speaker to order?" I inquired.

He put the car's gear into park. "If I tell you, then you'd probably think I'm crazy. Let's just talk while we wait. Two birds. One stone. Right?"

I took a deep breath. "From here on out, I'm calling you C.J."

Deonte chuckled, "You really don't have to call me that."

I nudged him. "What? You don't like it? I think it's better than being called CRU Jr. Your siblings have all the fun nicknames: Cash, Cha-Cha, Chanel... You should have one, too."

"That's 'cause I gave them their nicknames."

"Seriously? You're so creative. Okay, then. What would you nickname yourself?" I asked him.

Deonte thought before replying, "I guess... Cage."

"Cage?" I wrinkled my nose. "Why?"

Deonte turned the stirring wheel so that it was straight. "No reason."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Sooo... there's no reason why you call your brother Cash or your little sister Chanel?"

"There is. Chanel is spoiled by the whole family. She's an expensive kid. My brother has never been without money. Even when he didn't have a job, he had money. Cha-Cha is quick with everything. She learns and moves fast but she makes it look effortless."