24. Back to Where I'm From 🏠

It didn't feel like I was really back home until I had my mom's cooking. Roast beef, cabbage, yams, corn on the cob, fried okra, and hot water cornbread with the infamous Sweet Iced Tea. As I ate, I was lost in my thoughts or lost in the food for thought.

"I can't believe Monica isn't over here talking your ear off, right now." My mom sat next to me at the kitchen table.

I smirked, "I may have given her the wrong return date."

My mom narrowed her eyes at me. "Throw away the evidence, because you won't hear the end of it if she finds out."

"Way ahead of you. It's all on my phone. She doesn't know my password."

We both laughed.

"I'm so glad you're back, baby. Now, are you here for good or you missed us that much?" My mom asked me.

How can I put this without hurting any feelings? I replied, "I recorded enough music to be granted a break. Zeke asked if I wanted to go back home before my schedule gets hectic, and I couldn't wait to come back. I missed y'all that much."

My mom pursed her lips at me. "I'm about five seconds away from taking your plate away from you. Tell the truth, Jamie."

Why are moms like this? I sighed, "I really am done with recording music for now. Just waiting on Zeke's next business move for my career. Whether you believe it or not, I did miss you and dad."

My mom smiled, "You just earned seconds and thirds before your dad gets home. You know the kitchen will be empty after his first plate."

We both laughed.

When my dad came home from work, I caught him up on life in LA, and that led him to ask if he and mama can visit me when he gets his vacation time from work. After another hour, I grabbed my car keys and drove to my old job - Music Bravos. Even though it was closed, I did see a car in the parking lot, but I didn't recognize it. I wonder if A.B. is at my apartment. 

After making a stop at Sonic for some drinks, I found myself stuck outside my apartment gate. How could I forget I needed a key to get in? I pulled out my phone to call A.B. He answered on the third ring.

"Hey, umm, it's Jamie. I was gonna surprise you, but I can't get in. I'm locked out at the apartment gate. So, I'm just stuck outside looking crazy."

A.B. was silent for a few seconds. "Where are you?"

He sounded like he just woke up and didn't know where he was. Now, I feel bad. I said, "I'm back from LA, and I came to visit you. I just don't have my key to get in the gate. Could you come outside and open it for me?"

"Oh! Here I come." He hung up his phone.

I giggled as I waited for him. In less than a minute, I heard "Jamie!" A.B. unlocked and opened the gate for me. 

"Did I wake you up?" I walked through the pedestrian gate.

A.B. closed the gate and it locked on its own. "Don't worry about me. How was your flight?"

"It was good." I held up both Sonic drinks. "Blue Coconut Slush or Ocean Water?" 

"Ocean Water."

I gave it to him before leading the way back to the apartment. As we went up stairs, I heard the sipping of air and ice rattling.

"Thank you for the drink, Jamie."

"You're welcome." Instantly, I looked over my shoulder at my neighbor's door. Surprisingly, I didn't see Paulette or Joey's eyes peeping through their blinds. Good! Right when I was about to open the door, I quickly took a step back bumping into A.B. "I'm sorry. I'm acting like I still live here."