26. Found Me 🔭

After our dinner, we went back to the store, and I got in my car. I let A.B. know that I'd be seeing him in a couple days. Then, I drove back to my parents' house. 

On Saturday, I slept in without a care for anything. When I woke up in the late afternoon, my mom and I went to get body massages. It was absolutely worth every dime that I did not pay. We also went to a restaurant for dinner and enjoyed our unplanned mother-daughter day. I was able to share all that I've been up to in LA.

On Sunday, I woke up around 10 a.m. and found my dad in the kitchen. He was getting ready to cook breakfast. I decided to help him. I even planned to spend time with him like I did with my mom, but he started talking about sports and lost me. 

"I'm boring you, ain't I?" He asked me.

I simply nodded my head. "I love you, though."

"How about we go to the hardware store to pick up a few tools?"

I slowly shook my head. "Papa, no thank you."

He chuckled as he went to the living room to sit in his comfortable chair. "Let's watch a movie then."

"We can definitely do that."

All-of-a-sudden, the ground began to shake. The hairs on my arm stood up. The front door swung open with a loud bang. I stood in place as my cousin ran towards me.

"Nooo!" I screamed.

"Yeees!" She screamed

I slowly fell to my knees as I desperately reached to the sky like I was reaching for a rope to climb as a last attempt to escape

Monica slapped my hand down. "You low-down-dirty woman! You didn't tell me you were back from--" She pointed at me.

"Moni, wait! I was gonna tell you... but how did you know I was here?" I pretended to cry.

"Are you forgetting that your mom and my dad are siblings, as in brother and sister, as in related, as in family members? So your mom told my dad, and if you think my dad wasn't going to tell my mom, and my mom wasn't going to tell me, you got another thing coming, Jamie!"

I quickly stood to my feet. "Hold up! If you knew I was back home, how come you haven't called or text me?"

Monica froze with a guilty look on her face.

"I know why!" I crossed my arms. "Do you have a boyfriend?" I was only joking, but she slowly began backing away.

"Monica, stop. Where are you going?" I asked her.

"This is not about me, Jamie." She wagged her finger.

I widened my eyes. "You do have a boyfriend! Why didn't you tell me?"

"First-of-all, I'm grown. Second-of-all, mind your business. Third-of-all, I hope your parents know who house you were sleeping at when you weren't here."

This bald-headed girl had the nerve. "I was sleeping at my apartment," I announced.

"With a man!" Monica ran out the front door.

I chased behind her only to stop on the front porch. "Monica, get back here!"

When she got to her car that was parked on the curb, she leaned on it. She was definitely out of breath. "You let... this be the... last time... you ever... come back home... and... not tell me."

"No! I'm grown, too." I walked over to her. "And you let this be the last time you don't tell me who you're dating."

Monica said, "His name... is Dru... He's a YouTuber... like me... we met through... our subscribers... They say we... act alike... and we... would make a... good cou-"

"Please, catch your breath," I rolled my eyes. "And how did you know I went to my apartment?"

"I didn't... You just told on yourself." Monica tried to laugh, but coughed instead.

I loudly exhaled, "Well, I'm leaving tomorrow."

Monica smacked her lips. "Jamie, stop lying."

I smirked, "If you would let me finish. Tomorrow, I'm going on a road trip with A.B."

"Good! 'Cause if you go back to California without A.B., he'll be married the next time you come back home."

I threw my hand up as I began to walk away.

She followed me. "Jamie!" Monica cackled.

We continued our conversation inside the house where my dad was snoring like he hadn't slept in a decade. Monica and I went to the kitchen to talk about her YouTube beaux or boo. 

"Where's he from?" I opened the refrigerator to get us some drinks.

She softened her voice as she talked. "He's from New Orleans, but he lives in Atlanta."

"You're okay with being in a long distance relationship?" I placed a glass of water in front of her before taking a sip of my sweet tea.

Monica's side-eye was burning a hole in my face. "Don't play." She got up and poured the water out in the sink.

"That was some good clean water, Ungrateful."

"You can't talk to me about long distance. You'll be in Cali and A.B. will be here." Monica opened the refrigerator to fill her glass with sweet tea.

I was quiet before speaking. "A.B. is a nice guy, but I don't think he likes me like that. Zeke, on the other hand, I could feel his disappointment when I decided to come back here instead of going with him on his business trip."

Monica joined me at the kitchen table. "A.B. or Zeke?" She used her hands like a scale. "Personally, I'd date them both. Then pick the one that has the most to offer."

"Why are you like this? Greed does nothing for anyone." I tried to give her wisdom.

Monica held up her finger as she swallowed every drop from her glass. "That was good. Auntie Jackie can make some bomb sweet tea. Anyway, I rather be greedy than play the guessing game. And don't think I forgot that you and Zeke are a secret couple. I don't know how A.B. would feel about that. Ooh, this could be the drama I've been waiting for all my life." Monica started to dance. "This is the drama I've been waiting for, w-w-waiting for. All my life. All my life!"

She's so annoying. I stood up. "A.B. does not like me more than a friend, and Zeke is helping me with my singing career. No more. No less. Finito."

Monica was silent as she looked at me. Seconds later, she laughed as she hit the table. Why do we entertain each other like this?

After another hour of non-sense, Monica left. I retired to my old room with a head full of unwanted thoughts all thanks to my cousin. I mean, I could always call A.B. and tell him I can't make the day trip. Jamie, what are you so afraid of? Stop overthinking.

I'm not even looking to be in a relationship, right now. My career hasn't even started. Besides, A.B. hasn't said or done anything more than a friend would. So this is final. I'm going to Yellow Sand Beach with A.B., and I'm going to have a great time.