20. Checks & Balances 🤦

I woke up at 1 o'clock on Friday, thinking it was Wednesday night. The days were running together, but it was my own fault, because I refused to take a break. Zeke had to force me out of his studio and room just so I could get some rest.

After a shower and hygiene care, I grabbed my phone and sat on my bed to check all my missed calls and text messages. I was not at all surprised at seeing Monica's name fifty-million times, but it's nice to have family checking on me.

Before I could give her a callback, my phone rang. I instantly recognized my former employer's store number. "Hello," I answered the call.

"Good afternoon, Jamie. This is A.B. How are you?"

I definitely wasn't expecting to hear his voice. "A.B.? I'm doing good. How are you?"

"I can't complain. Do you have time to talk?" He asked me.

"Yeah. Of course." I crossed my legs as I sat in bed.

A.B. continued, "Great. First, it's good to hear that you're doing good. I've been praying for you and your career."

"That's so sweet. Thank you, A.B."

"You're welcome. I was calling, because we have your last paycheck, and I wanted to know if you want it mailed or deposited in your bank account."

I shrugged, "It doesn't matter. I can't believe I forgot about my last check."

"You really are doing good," A.B. chuckled.

"Let's just say I'm not worried about bills," I admitted.

We both laughed.

"So, are you officially the new manager?" I asked him.

"No. My uncle is still the owner and manager, but he finally took a vacation for two weeks."

"Wait-a-minute. He's taking a 2-week vacation? The longest I've ever known Mr. Dave to take vacation was two days and the time you filled in for him."

"Exactly," A.B. stated matter-of-factly.

Laughter followed. Immediately, I thought about my last week at work. A.B. was a lot of fun.

I asked him, "Are you staying with your uncle now or...?"

"Oh-no. He lives too far away from the store. I'm still across the street at the hotel."

"You're still at the hotel?" Light bulb moment! "A.B., please don't think I'm crazy or anything, but my lease is up in a couple months, and it's already been paid up. If you're interested, you can stay there until you find a permanent spot, because... like, I would hate for my apartment to be unoccupied with the rent already paid for. You know?"

"How much is your rent?" He asked me.

"One full check."

"That's not bad," A.B. commented.

I added, "They're old, but it's really safe. The neighbors mind their business, but if they ask you anything - you're a friend checking on a friend." I know Paulette and Joey, well, Paulette for sure would be the only one questioning him.

A.B. said, "Sounds like your mind is made up."

I smiled, "I just see this as a great opportunity. I get a security guard for my property or what's left in it, and you get a place to stay, rent-free for a few months. It's a win-win situation."

"Okay. I accept your offer. That gives me plenty of time to look around for a place to stay. Do I need to go to the main office for the key or anything?"

I shook my head, "No. You shouldn't have any reason to go to the main office. My cousin is checking my mailbox every few days until my mail is forwarded to my parents' house, but I'll ask her to bring you the key to the apartment. What time do you get off work today?"